There was no point, the dancing couples were all moving far too fast for them to even think about learning them and it's not long before their table is littered with empty glasses.

"It's all quite impressive, isn't it?" Brian asks, watching as a young man swings his partner around with his arm, "I mean, they're going rather fast."

"They're making me dizzy," Roger groans but he soon perks up when a pretty redhead walks by, giving him a little wave.

It was no secret that the four of them were causing a little bit of excitement within the small village - four good looking lads arriving out of nowhere, that was one of the most exciting things to happen in Pittenweem in a long time.

John tries to stay focused on the conversation that's happening between them but he can't help but let his eyes wander towards Roxanne, who's now chatting with an older woman.

She looks really pretty tonight - not that she doesn't look pretty all the time it's just that now, she's got some ribbon keeping her hair back and he loves it when she does that because it means that he can see her face.

She has a really lovely face.

"John," he looks at Brian when he taps his shoulder and the guitarist has to yell to be heard over the band, "Ask her to dance!"

"What? I can't dance to this!"

"Seems simple enough," Freddie hums and John can see him tapping his feet in time with the dancers.

"If it's so simple, why don't you do it?"

"I think I will."

With that, Freddie's up out of his seat, making his way around the dance floor to Roxy, who's face lights up when he reaches her and John swears he's never loathed Freddie until now. No, that was harsh, he didn't loath Freddie, he loathed his confidence.

John wishes he had the confidence to step out of his comfort zone, step out onto the dance floor so he was the one dancing with Roxanne.

It isn't long until the redhead that Roger has been flirting with across the room finally comes over, sitting down by him at the end of their table and Brian disappears to get himself another drink.

So now John was all on his lonesome, clapping along with everyone else when they give the band a round of applause and he decides that it's time for a cigarette.

"Rog," he pats the blonde on the shoulder, making him tear his attention from the woman, "'m going out for a smoke. Can I borrow your lighter?"

He pats his pockets but stands up, "I'll come with." He looks down at the redhead, "Do you smoke...?"

"Jenny," she responds and John rolls his eyes. He hadn't even gotten her name yet, "And no. I don't."

"Oh," Roger looks disappointed, "That's - I mean,"

"Go," she says, biting down on her lip as she gives him another once over, "Maybe we can find each other later?"

"Oh, we definitely will."

John leaves Roger, hoping that he'll follow him outside, where there's a cool breeze coming in from the sea but John doesn't mind, leaning up against the wall of the hall.

He waits for five minutes; smiles at a young couple who burst out of the hall in a flurry of stolen kisses and giggles, pets a small dog that comes running up to him and when it becomes clear that Roger isn't coming out for a smoke, he gives up and just goes back inside.

Roger is still sat at the table with Jenny, grinning at her as she trails her fingers over the back of his hand and he decides that no, he doesn't want to watch Roger flirt and makes his way towards the bar, where he can see Brian chatting away with one of the other patrons, "Can I have a whisky please?"