I Should Have Known Better

Start from the beginning

"I got Diana pregnant."

Paul let out a breathy laugh and licked his lips. He tapped his foot vigorously on the wood floor and ran his hands over his face.

"Get out of this fucking pub or- I swear to god," he breathed out, "I'll kill you."

I looked to John with fear in my eyes, and he quickly made his way over to the table.

"Let the boy explain-" John said.

"You knew about this and didn't tell me?!" Paul said, standing up from the table.

"They're fucking 17 years old! You ruined my sister's life and you sure as hell ruined yours!" Paul scoffed, "Don't bother coming to the gig tonight. I think we'll manage with 1 less guitarist."

You gulped and looked to John with worry.

"And like I told you before, get out of this pub, before I lose my shit completely."

You didn't want to fight back to make matters worse, so you got up from your seat and made your way outside. You began to walk down the street, kicking rocks with your boots, hands in your pockets.

You had fucked everything up...

Paul was your best friend, and now he didn't want to see your face.

How could things go downhill so fast?

~*~*~

You had walked around town for what seemed like days, just thinking.

You had come across a phone booth and decided to call Diana with the few bits of change in your pocket.

"Hello?" You heard a voice say, but it wasnt Diana.

"Cynthia?" You questioned.

"George? Is that you?" She replied.

"Yeah Cyn. Wheres Diana?"

"Oh, she's sleeping. All of her crying wore her out," she said, "What did you need?"

"I told Paul," you shuttered, "It didn't go over too well..."

"I'm sorry to hear that George. I'm sure that in the end everything will be fine."

"When do you think Diana will be up?" You asked.

She sighed, "I'd just let her sleep George. She's had a few sleepless nights just worrying. You better call tomorrow."

"Alright," you replied, "Thanks Cynthia."

You hung up the phone and and started out again.

~*~*~

It was just about 10 minutes away from your gig and you built up the courage to show your face at the joint.

You turned the corner to walk backstage and saw John, Paul, Stuart and Pete.

Everyone except Paul looked at you with blank faces, all knowing what happened. Paul just kept tuning his guitar, looking down at it, not bothering to acknowledge me.

John made his way over to me and patted my arm, "I'm glad you decided to come back. None of us wanted you out in this city past dark."

You heard Paul scoff at that remark and got up from where he was sitting to go onstage and set up.

"Did you talk to him?" You asked, just as Paul left, eager to know everything.

"I tried kid, I really did. He wanted to kick you out of the band," he sighed.

"It's not his place to say who's in and who's out. This is your band John," you replied, furrowing your eyebrows.

"I told him that we had to keep you through Hamburg. But if I have two guys that completely despise each other in my band. And I'd have to drop you then..."

You gasped, shocked at that reply, "Why me?! I'm a better guitar player than Paul!-"

"George, this isn't set in stone. I hope this will pass over by the time we get back to Liverpool. I don't want to get rid of ya'." John said, "Now let's get onstage."

-

The whole night onstage was tense.

You looked over at Paul a few times during the performance, but he never returned.

After a few tries of getting his attention, you decided just to focus on your guitar playing.

~*~*~

You, John and Paul all walked into your room after the gig.

You all made your separate ways into your beds and laid your heads down on the pillows. John turned off the lamp and it was pitch black.

None of you made small talk or had laughs like you always did when trying to fall asleep, it was just silent.

You sighed and flipped over, facing the wall.

Maybe Diana could smooth things over.

-
-
-
Finally an update! What the hell!
This book at 24k reads and I dont even know why, more than half of them were when I was MIA from Wattpadd😂 But anyways, thank you!! I'll try and have another chapter out soon, but I hope this one will do you guys well for a while💞