Okay?

Chapter 13

***THE LAST CHAPTER WAS A BIT HARSH. IF YOU DIDN'T READ THE LAST CHAPTER, THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED: SAM GOT KICKED OUT OF HER HOUSE AFTER TELLING HER PARENTS SHE WAS PREGNANT. SAM BEGAN TO CUT HER WRISTS AND THIGHS BECAUSE SHE WAS GETTING RAPPED BY SOME GUYS FROM HER SCHOOL. LATER, SHE STARTED SMOKING AND TAKING DRUGS. AFTER, SHE INVITES THE GUYS WHO RAPE HER TO SLEEP WITH HER. ONE DAY, AFTER A WEEK OF SAM NOT SLEEPING AT PATRICIA'S HOUSE, SHE COMES TO THANK HER FOR EVERYTHING AND LEAVES. SHE TURNS AROUND THOUGH AND SAYS SOMETHING, THAT PATRICIA DOESN'T HEAR. THE NEXT DAY, A POLICE OFFICER ARRIVES AT PATRICIA'S HOUSE TO TELL HER THAT SAM DIED NEAR HER PARENTS HOUSE***

Justin Carter

After I heard the news of Sammie, I felt obligated to tell Enrique. He had his arms around some chick, who had her boobs up in his face. Enrique licks his lips, appreciating the view.

"Enrique." I eye the chick in disgust.

Enrique lifts his other hand and slowly wraps his fingers around her left boob. The girl moans quietly and bites her lips. She slowly leans forward, whispering Enrique's name in a low hush.

I roll my eyes. Can't they just get a room and not do this at school? "Enrique," I repeat, louder and with more confidence this time.

His eyes slowly snap off the girl's chest with a hint of annoyance. He stares at me blankly. "What?" he sneers nastily.

"Did you hear about Sammie? She-" I start, before being rudely interrupted by Enrique's loud grunt of disapproval.

"Dude, I don't care about Sammie. Don't mention her name when I'm with a slut... Okay?" The last word is injected with sass and anger. The girl, who had her hands in his pants, squeezes as tightly as she can, making Enrique squeal with pain. "What's wrong with you, woman?!" he shrieks.

"I'm not a slut! You can't call me that. I thought you were actually gonna respect me, but this Sammie girl must be your girlfriend or something if you don't want her name being mentioned when you're with other females!" She rips her hands off Enrique's junk and stalks off. She pauses halfway and returns to slap him square in the jaw. "Don't call me!" She pushes past me, and as she walks I can hear the echoes of her heels on the ground.

Enrique stares at me with burning anger. "You just made me lose my girl for tonight." His vice shows no emotions but being one of his best friends, I could tell he was very angry. It was the first time in months, that he wouldn't have a chick in his bed tonight. I roll my eyes, suddenly remembering Sammie. "Yo, about Sammie-"

Enrique shoots up from his sitting position and pushes past me. "I said don't mention that slut's name."

I look around before processing with my words. "But you don't have any sluts with you right now..."

He stops midtrack and whips around. "You're so stupid, Justin. You can't even get a girl to your bed and you just go ahead and ruin my chances with girls."

"I'm in love and don't need girls in my bed. I just need one girl and that's it. I don't need a million girls for a million nights. Just one will-" I stop talking as I remember that Pattie was angry with me and she must need me since her best friend is dead. "I don't have time for this." I wave my hands in front of my face and search for Patricia.

. . .

Patricia Kelly

"Pattie! Pattie!" The voice behind me wails pleadingly. I roll my eyes and try to walk a bit faster with my oversized heels. "Please!" That last part was interrupted by his voice breaking. "Please..." I have to stop because of the overbearing pity I felt for him.

"What?!" I turn on my heels and glare at Justin. "I'm sort of in a rush, so if you could please... Just get to the point." I cross my arms over my chest and state at him expectantly. I watch him try to gather his thoughts and form them into words. His head tilts sideways to the floor. I smile slightly at how cute he looked at this moment. My smile vanishes when he looks up, looking confident.

"Patricia. Are you okay?" he finally says.

Before I could stop, a scoff escapes my lips. "If I'm okay!? Are you joking? After my best friend cuts an takes drugs and finally commits suicide, you expect me to be okay? Of course I'm not okay! How could you ask such a stupid question like that? Just-ugh! No, I'm definitely not okay!"

Justin shrinks a little bit, and the unmistakable hurt in his eyes breaks my heart. But I chose to continue anyway. I needed to get this out. "If I was really okay, I wouldn't think about killing myself so I wouldn't have to live without Sammie. But killing myself is not an answer to my problem. I'm not okay and yet you have the guts to ask me that dumb question. Ugh!" I flail my arms in front of me and decide to walk away, but a hand on my forearm stops me. I flinch a little bit, by the sudden pain I felt. I was not used to this sort of pain. I start to wonder how Sammie could afford to feel this pain everyday for her remaining life. I rip my arm from Justin's grasp and whimper a little bit. Justin's eyes widen a bit and alarm appears in his pupils. "Have you been cu-"

"No!" I shriek. I clear my throat. "No. I haven't. Thanks for your concern." I continue the action I was doing before Justin had to go ahead and make me feel pain and trash talk Sammie.

"No. Please. Talk to me." He steps forward and he's just a hand away from my face. He studies my face, his eyebrows furrowing slightly. I bit my lip to not let the cry that I could feel coming. I hiccup and lose it right there. I start to cry, at first over how much Justin seemed to care. Then at how Sammie was dead and how much I was going to miss her. What was I going to do with my life now? I start to sob at all the imperfections of my life, and honesty my life wasn't that perfect. I start wailing Sammie's name, not caring how people in the halls would stare at me. Justin pulls me close to him and puts his arms around me. I bury my face in his shoulder and wrap my arms around his neck, flinching slightly by the touch of some warmth on my cuts. Justin repeats over and over, "It's going to be okay."

And for the tiniest second, I believe him.