Bridge

Chapter 15

Justin Carter

I trudge through the school halls, one thing in mind. Find Pattie. Pattie hasn't been herself since the funeral. She wouldn't return my calls, she would ignore me when I tried talking to her, she just didn't seem interested in anything anymore. I was worried for her. I turn the corner, and shove a blonde chearleader out of my way. She protests behind me, yelling foul words. I ignore her. Where is Patricia? I think back to the last time I saw her.

The funeral.

I shake my head dismissively.

No, I had seen her a few days after the funeral.

Patricia's locker's is in sight. No one's there though. I slow my pace, furrowing my eyebrows. Has she even been to school, I wonder to myself. I did see her a few days after the school funeral, but she wasn't in school. She had been at the grave. Sam's grave. She had been putting down some pink flowers. Enrique was beside her, staring at the stone with intense grief. I turn on my heels and walk away from Pattie's locker.

. . .

Patricia Kelly

I watch a bird land on a branch of the tree covered in melting frost outside my window. I sigh. It reminds me of the time Sammie had bought me Hiro. I turn towards my white cockatiel. He tilts his head so that his eyes look towards me. Hiro was a present from Sammie. I almost had given Hiro away, but I didn't have the heart to do that. Hiro was a part of my life now, he reminded me of Sammie. I turn back towards the window. I was lying on my bed, not making any effort of getting to school. I hadn't been to school in three weeks. My parents didn't know. I would leave at the same time as them, and then hide behind a bush until I made sure they were gone. Then I'd walk to the graveyard. Enrique would always be there. We would stare at the stone in silence for an hour, before walking away without breathing a word to each other. I'd sneak back into the house after, and lie on my bed all day, staring out the window. I would mostly cry myself to sleep everyday, and then wake up just as my parents come home. Then I would tell them I'm off to a friends' house. They knew better, but they didn't say anything.

Click!

That was my cue to get out of bed, and wipe the tears from my eyes. I hop down the stairs, and greet my parents just as I'm about to leave.

. . .

Enrique Fernandez

I stare at the metallic letters on the stone that read "girlfriend". I guess she wasn't officially my girlfriend, but Pattie says she loved to be called my girlfriend. There were times when I was with her, that I was tempted to call her, "my girl", but I wasn't sure if she'd like that. Plus I had a reputation to maintain. I had to play that, "bad boy" act to not seem like a pussy. I breath in real hard, making the tears stay in my eyes. I was a pussy. I kicked Sammie out of my house. What kind of guy does that to a pregnant girl?

A pussy.

I feel a presence beside me. I do not flinch nor turn in her direction. I stare at her from the corner of my eye. She places pink flowers on top of the stone. Then she sits beside me, nods in my direction and stares at the dirt. I focus my attention back to the stone. I sigh. A puff of smoke escapes my lips.

"Winter is just around the corner." I realize she's turned towards me.

I nod.

"Sammie used to love winter. She'd love making snow angels and snowmen." Pattie looks towards the sun, low in the sky. It was just rising. Pattie and me would sit in front of Sam's grave for an hour before parting ways. Never had we spoken though. I didn't plan to start either. I turn back towards Sam's grave, ignoring Pattie until she was silent once more.