A Demon Seeks Amends

"No, you can't sleep in the car it's not safe. Do you want me to go in first and see if he's really there? He could be, I don't know at a restaurant or something."

"I'll be fine. I sleep with demons all the time." She turned the corner and they made their way to the hotel. Finley turned into the parking lot, finding Ryan's car and opening it with his car keys. Ryan gave them to her because he always said he trusted her more than he trusted himself. Finley crawled in and locked the door behind her, so Shane couldn't get in. She then turned away from Shane, and burying her face in her arms and her body physically shaking with sobs. 

Shane knocked on the window, gesturing for her to let him in, beginning to doubt that Finley indented to kiss Eli in the first place. Shane tried to get her to unlock the car door, but she ignored him. After several failed attempts, he finally left, going back to the hotel room. When he opened the door, he found Ryan sitting on the edge of the couch watching a sports game blankly. His eyes were red and puffy, his mind clearly not on the game.

"Hey, Ryan, you okay man?" Shane asked, closing the hotel door behind him.

"Yeah I'm fine," Ryan answered gruffly. "Where's your little protege?"

"She's uh, spending the night in the Buzzfeed Unsolved official van," Shane said feebly, giving a weary smile and sitting next to Ryan. "You know it's possible she didn't actually want that guy to kiss her? What if he forced her to?"

"She seemed to enjoy it," Ryan muttered, crossing his arms. He had an unwanted memory of Eli's hand being wrapped around Finley's waist, kissing her roughly. Running his hands through her hair. Shane shook his head.

"No, she actually looked kind of heartbroken, dude. Especially when you stormed away. I think whoever that guy was, they have history, and he likes her but she doesn't return the favor. I think she actually, really likes you," Shane analyzed, the realizations hitting him that Finley was telling the truth. "And, I mean, you have to know it's not her fault."

"What if it is...? What if she wanted him to kiss her?" Ryan could feel his eyes welling up with yet another round of tears, and he hastily wiped them away. He wanted Finley to like him, but filled with fear at the fact that Finley may not like him back.

"How could she want a random stranger who she hasn't seen years and lives halfway around the world from her to kiss her? And of course she likes you, you couldn't have missed how heartbroken she looked when you left. Oh right, cause you left," Shane replied. He wrapped his arm around Ryan's shoulders. "Dude, you've got to go back to her and let her at least explain."

Ryan shrugged, secretly missing Finley. "Where did you say she was?"