Chapter 77

Avery’s POV

            Eventually, everyone breaks. They can’t handle everything that’s put on them and they collapse. Sometimes it takes people longer but others shatter instantly. I was one that tried to stay strong but eventually I fell, I finally met my match; I finally broke. Everyone has their tipping point and that day was mine.

            Holding in too much emotion can have major effects on people, messing up their mood, making them paranoid, touchy, on edge, lots of things. For me, it was my mood. I tried to put up a mask to hide myself from everyone, but when Luke followed me into the forest that day, I broke. I couldn’t keep up my mask anymore.

            When I first put on my mask, I thought that it would protect me. I thought that not sharing my emotions and to store them away as if they didn’t exist would help me but it only ended up hurting me. I made Luke worry for me. He was scared for me because how I had acted wasn’t like me at all, and I started to realize that.

            Now that Luke had talked to me, I felt better. I was slowly being repaired and fixing myself so that I was back to normal, I still had strong emotions, but Luke would come over at night and we would talk about them, making me feel much better.   

            Luna and Grey had known that something was wrong but they didn’t want to pry, thinking it would eventually leave, as it did though not naturally.

            After a few weeks, I was back to normal, I was myself again and I had finally learned how to control my emotions and my powers.

“Bye Luke,” I whispered, hugging him before he left from my cabin.

He smirked, “What? Do I not get a goodnight kiss?”

I rolled my eyes but gladly gave it to him. My lips pressed against his gently, meaning for it to be a light kiss but when I went to pull away, Luke’s hand shot up, holding my head, his other hand wrapping around my waist. My hands, trailing up his shirt to his neck, tangling them into his hair. He groaned when I tugged slightly hen took my hands, taking them off of him and pulling away. We were both breathing hard and I was confused on why he had pulled away, it had been a long time since we had kissed like that, and I missed it.

“S-sorry,” He apologized, breathing hard. “I don’t- want to go- go too far.” His breathing was scattered, his chest heaving and his heart beating to the same rhythm as my own. A small smirk traced Luke’s lips, “However much I want to.”

“Luke!” I scolded him, hitting him lightly while he chuckled.

He smiled down at me, an adoring look in his eyes. I smiled up at him, my heart swelling, “Goodnight.” He said softly.

“Night.” I whispered back, kissing him quickly before he left causing a small smile on his face, loving that I had to sneak one more kiss in.

Once the door closed, a dreamy sigh escaped my lips. I turned around and walked to my room before spinning and flopping onto the bed, my hands resting over my stomach while I stared at the ceiling, the realistic stars twinkling down at me.