Chapter 6

Avery’s POV
            When I walked in I immediately ran up the stairs and to the girl’s room. Since there were so many of us, we had to share our rooms with 5 other people so there were six of us in all.
            My room wasn’t too bad. I had Tayler, Emi, Kelly, Sammy, and Clara. Tayler was 17, Sydnee was 14, Kelly was Natalie, who were twins, were 10 and Clara was only 6.
            Tayler was shorter than me by about an inch but that didn’t stop her from pushing me, along with the rest of the girls, around. She had black hair and piercing green eyes that could make a pro wrestler cry for his mommy. If she didn’t get her way… you had better be ready for a hard night. She was right, even when she was wrong. Tayler was basically the leader of the whole room and the rest of the orphanage. I couldn’t stand her so, of course, she was Mrs. Gretcher’s favorite.
            Emi was about 5 feet 7 inches. Emi’s the really athletic type and super competitive. She’s a complete super star in basketball. She could make a perfect swish at the other end of the court, I know because she’s done it before.
            Kelly and Sammy were identical twins and there was absolutely nothing different about them. They both were 4 feet 2 inches, both had red hair and freckles, blue eyes, everything was the same about them except Kelly was super shy and Sammy was really outgoing.
              Clara was the cutest 6 year old ever! She barely came up to my hip but she was the sweetest thing ever! Her cute little pigtails, which she insisted that I do for her every day, and her bows were the things that she was most known for. Not a single day has gone by when she wasn’t wearing a bow or had me do her hair into pigtails.
            Then there was, of course, me. I had brown hair with natural chestnut highlights along with my silver eyes, a lean and tall (5 foot 11 inches) figure. I was more of a loner and only talked to people on occasion. It wasn’t like I hated people or was shy; it was just that I never really wanted anyone. I was fine on my own. Sure having a friend every once in a while was fine but I was kind of an outcast. A long time ago I did have a lot of friends but they all ended up turning against me. I don’t really know what happened I kinda think it was because of Grey.
            Don’t call me immature but I kinda have an imaginary friend. She’s not really imaginary-I mean I can see her clear as day but absolutely no one else can! I swear to you, that I can see her.
            Grey told me that she was real and I’m not imagining her. At first, I thought she was really was my imagine friend when I was younger but as the years have gone on she’s still here. She said that she isn’t a figment of imagination but that she’s a ghost. When I first heard this I totally freaked out but she eventually calmed me down enough and I just deal with it now.
            I’ve asked Grey many times how only I can see her and she just bites her lip, looks at the sky, shakes her head and says she can’t say. Every time she says she can’t answer. She can’t even say why she can’t answer! If you get frustrated with your math homework, imagine how it is when your best friend won’t tell you something that you are dying to know!  
            Throwing my stuff on my bed, I took off my shoes, put them under the bed and put my bag in my trunk.
            We don’t have enough room for everyone to have a closet so we each have a trunk. Thank heavens we have locks on them but they actually aren’t that bad. Everyone has their own trunk at the edge of their bed where their feet go.
            The trunks are actually really big. They’re about as wide, length wise, as the bottom of the bed and are about as tall too. Width wide they are about 2 feet. Plus they have some secret places in them.    
            Slumping on the bed I sighed and looked up at the ceiling, my hands laying on top of my stomach. I laid there for a while until I felt my eyes droop.
I must have fallen asleep because when I opened my eyes I saw Grey.
Grey was an ashy kind of pale. She had black hair and stunning blue eyes that stood out brightly with her pale face and grey/white dress. Because Grey was a ghost she was almost see through but you could still make out what she looked like, she could change her physical appearance to make her seems solid but she preferred to be her usual transparent self.
            “Avery!” Grey yelled at me shaking me, a worried look in her eyes. “Avery get up! Mrs. Gretcher wants you! She’s been calling you for a while and if you don’t go soon you’re going to get a punishment again!”
            My eyes widened. The last punishment that I got was to clean the whole floors until Mrs. Gretcher could see her ugly face in the tiles. My hands had blisters for weeks and I had horrible muscle aches!
            I quickly got out of bed and brushed through my hair then raced out the door with Grey following behind me, her white dress flowing behind her while she ran.
            When I finally found Mrs. Gretcher, I was out of breath and she gave me a disappointing scowl while she tapped her foot, her arms crossed. “Where have you been girl?”
            “Sorry, I-I fell asleep!” I tried to explain.
            She shook her head and rolled her eyes. “Did you get kicked out of your school yet?”
            “No.”
            Mrs. Gretcher snorted, “Let’s hope that you don’t ever get kicked out because I’m warning you girl!” She shook a finger at me then stalked away.
            I turned to Grey who was hiding from Mrs. Gretcher, she said that she freaked her out and didn’t want Mrs. Gretcher to see her. Grey  threw a kick at Mrs. Gretcher even though she was long gone. I smiled at Grey and she smiled back at me. “Come on.” I told her while we walked back to my room. “I have to tell you about my day today.”