Chapter 75

Avery’s POV
            I cried myself to sleep that night.

            There wasn’t much else to do except that. Luna was gone so she couldn’t comfort me in the slightest. Everything was just becoming too stressful and I felt like I couldn’t take it anymore.  

            When I was little, even knowing that my parents were dead, I used to dream of meeting them. I had dreams that they would hug me and tell me how much they loved me and were sorry that they left me alone. And now, actually meeting Artemis, I wish I would never had created such a fantasy. Meeting my mom wasn’t anything special or great. She never hugged me, never helped me, never told me she loved me... nothing.

            Having that conversation with Artemis-hurt, a lot. She acted like she cared in small gestures but she never did anything to show me that she loved me- like help me when I needed her- she didn’t even tell me she loved me. Maybe I really was a mistake and she regretted having me. That visit from her was pity, pure pity. She pitted me so she enchanted my bow. It wasn’t an ‘I love you gift’, just pity. If she wanted to show that she loved me, she should have come when I really needed her or at least she could have told me.

            I didn’t tell anyone about my visit with her, not even Luna, Grey or Luke. I kept my emotions in and went through the day like I was supposed to. Every day was just a repeat. I ate alone, did my Camp activities alone; I did what I was supposed to. Basically, I become a zombie; not really thinking about anything or having an attitude towards something, I just did it because I had to.

            When I had free time, I usually ran off into the woods to be alone. I had a master skill of hiding so no one could find me, not even Luna with her tracking abilities. After Artemis gave me my bow, she also did something to enhance my senses. While I was alone in the woods, I tried to master them. She told me it would take time so I practiced often.

Even when I first had my senses magnified, there had been a huge difference immediately. At first it was really hard to get used to. People sometimes said something to me and it seemed like they were yelling it into my ear. Other times, my vision would suddenly sharpen and I could see really close up and I couldn’t make my vision return to normal. I wasn’t able to control any of them and I hated that, so I didn’t talk to many people, in case they messed with my senses. Until I finally learned how to use them, I wanted it to stay that way.  

After practicing and being able to grasp my new abilities better, I learned what had been enhanced.

The first one that I found was that my 5 senses were tremendously different. When Artemis spoke to me for the first time, I flinched because of how loud her voice was. At first, my abilities turned off and on without me wanting them to but 3 weeks later, and I finally know what I’m doing. If I blink twice and want my vision to sharpen, it does and my eyes basically zoom into things. Hearing was a hard one at first but I’ve finally been able to understand how to keep my hearing normal then enhance to even better than what an animal would hear. My taste and touch were about the same but my smelling was another one that was a huge difference. I could smell Dinner from across the camp!

My physical abilities were another thing that was enhanced. I was a lot faster than I used to be, my agility was spectacular, I could jump higher, and I was stronger. And if someone would throw a ball at someone, I could catch it midair right in front of their face easily.