The Puzzle

The Guard

I hadn't expected the hit. But once it came, I couldn't help but feel as if it was worse than it really was. They were only able to take a minuscule amount of HP with the knife. But it was the surprise, that got me. How the human was able to get around my attacks with only minimal damage to their HP, and land a hit.

I stepped back, getting a detailed look of them. I see small nicks and scrapes littering their body and the sleeves of their sweater coated in dust. The ash blows into the wind as they continue to doge Undyne's spears, and my bone attacks.

As they continue to swing the toy knife, I am forced to continue to keep on fighting. But it's their eyes that make me want to stop. At first the red orbs speak of nothing but violence, but they also show, confusion.
Was it confusion from the fall? Confusion as to why we are fighting? I just don't...

I have to dodge another swing, now shaken even more at their Determination. With each fire, and miss, I inch closer to a dreadful thought. Did they harm my brother? His shakes one HP comes to mind. Even a hit from a toy knife can deal damage. Enough damage to dust him. I tense up, as I use my magic to send bones erupting from the ground.

As the break through the snow, the human looks alarmed. They take a good hit and almost fall to the ground. As they stumble, head down, another realization hits me. I'm not just trying to defend myself anymore. Although the human could be swinging to kill, I shouldn't be.

Guilt is an opaque layer over my soul, fresh and heavy. I'll just tire them out a little longer, and then Undyne and the rest of the Royal Guard can take them in. I just have to make sure that I can get a few questions out before they are taken in.

I adjust my viewpoint, trying to submerge the anger of what the human could have done in the depths of my mind. I can't treat them like this without figuring out what happened, no one should be treated like that.

Before the situation called for Gaster Blasters, I am able to sense the tired human's next attack. And before they could swing the knife at my chest, I grab their wrist. The taught muscle in their arm pulls against my hand, but I am able to hold tight. I can't let them get away.

I look down at the knife, coated with dusted and melted snow. As if they had dropped it along the way here. It's metallic properties are nonexistent, giving evidence to the theory that it was just a toy. But even some toys, when handled with a certain demeanor, can be lethal. It is proven with whoever's ashes are littered all over them.

But soon enough I travel to their expression. With Undyne taking panting breaths beside me, I can almost focus on what the human could be thinking. But it certainly wasn't what what I thought it would be. Fear should be what I see. A human being caught by a monster, anyone being caught by anyone, would spark fear.

But they...were not necessarily...afraid. They were curious. Their confusion turned into curiosity, with a tilt of the head and hint of a smile. They mimic the exact look I would make, facing a new puzzle. A puzzle that the human is trying to solve with violence and dust. This is not some game I would want to play.

But I don't know if they even care at this point. Cause as soon as I become confused with them myself, instead of pulling away from my grasp, they push forward. Maneuvering the knife toward my neck. The sudden change of force makes my momentum the enemies upper hand.

I fall back, feeling the attack strongly. But it didn't seem enough to dust me. Especially since Undyne and I weakened them quiet a bit before hand. I almost fall back into the ground, letting go of the human by mistake. I hear the shouting of Undyne, but it almost seems buried under layers of distraction. Mainly caused by my missing brother, the pain filled attack, and the fact that...the human just ran away.