Falling Back

The Judge

I can see him.

I can see him! I jerk my legs forward, as the tension around my bones tighten. I keep pushing myself forward, not letting my eyes leave my brother. My only family left. My only chance of getting out of this situation.

"Sans, you have to stop!" Flowey shouts, loud enough to get my attention, but not enough to attract attention. I see Papyrus pacing in the living room, he looks as if he is talking to someone on the phone.

Just. Look. Out. The. Window.

I ignore any of the plant's protests. It's a miracle that I've made it this far. The once snapped vines on my arm, now grow down my arm, all the way to my hands. "If you don't stop..." Flowey threatens openly. Maybe I should listen.

But what else can I lose now?

Newfound energy floods into my bones, giving me enough stamina to push through harder. The vines around my hand tighten, from restraining, to causing pain. But each painful twist only makes me want to go farther. The loss of circulation in my left hand causes it to feel like it's on fire. And the constant build up of pressure makes me worry that the bone is on the verge of cracking.

I get closer. Almost a few yards away. I see that my brother is talking to someone on the phone. Flowey is now about to pull all of the stops to make me surrender. Sharp and erratic tugs on my neck make me a little disoriented. But it doesn't stop me.

I stretch my arm out, almost to the railing of the house stairs. The vines allow no slack or room to move. I reach as far as I can without loosing my balance. Fingers just about to brush the weathered oak wood. Flowey pulls back harder, he knows that I should be able to pull myself up the stairs if I can have something to home onto.

My left arm is pulled back, as if he is trying to hold onto air for support. He tries to jerk my legs to get me off balance.

I begin to waver.

My energy and control being torn away one moment after another. I turn my head, taking my eyes off the wooden railing for a split second. I see my brother. I see an opportunity. I see a chance to get help. I tear my attention away, and focus on the mere inches to the railing.

Every second I through every fiber of my being, forward. Almost...there........

My fingers brush the wood, damp with melted snow. But as soon as I get a hold of it...Flowey rips me away, sending us both into the snow. I try to take in quick breaths, tired from resisting his control. The cold wetness of the ground seeps into my clothes, numbing my bones and my mind.

I try to pull myself up, but Flowey roots us into the ground. The vines that are wrapped around my arms and legs, anchored into the solid earth. "Don't try anything like this again." He whispers into my head.

How did I mess this up?