A Time Before

The Judge

"Hey bro! I'm back." I shout into the house. I try to shake off the snow on my shoulders before entering, but end up leaving it all on the carpet when I walk in. My hands weighed down with grocery bags from this afternoon's journey. "Hello brother! Welcome back, did you get everything on the list? It sure didn't take you that long." I hear Papyrus ask from in the kitchen.

"Yep, I was pasta than normal with my short cuts." I explain, with a smile. I can almost see him groan at the bad joke. I kick off my damp slippers to let them dry from the journey in the snow and then head into the kitchen. There I see my bro, hanging over the stove, with a wooden spoon in hand. He must have gotten hungry waiting while I shopped.

I quickly place the plastic bags onto the table. Each of them filled with our own cuisine. Ketchup, spaghetti, and tomato sauce. A delicious classic. "So, what else do you plan to do on your day off Sans?" Papyrus asks, still facing the stove. I start pulling items one by one out of the bags and put them in their designated places.

"Uh, I dunno, maybe sleep. I am bone tired." I emphasize as I put the ketchup in the fridge. I laugh as I hear him breathe out most exaggerated sigh of my life. He catches on and shares a smile of his own, shaking his head as he stirs the boiling pasta.

"Do you have any ideas for today bro?" Papyrus looks up from the spaghetti, hand resting under his chin, as he thinks of an idea. "I might go over to Undyne's today to have an extra cooking lesson." He suggests. "Maybe I'll learn a new pasta recipe for tonight." I nod along to what he says as I wrap up putting the dry noodles in the pantry.

"Sounds like a blast." I joke, sitting down at the table. That one gets a good laugh out of him. Probably because he knows that they will start a kitchen fire. They normally do. "Don't worry Sans, for the Great Papyrus, is always prepared!" He says, turning around and waving the wet wooden spoon with confidence. His wide smile, makes me smile in return. 

That's what I like to hear. I don't want anyone getting hurt in a fire. Let alone my brother. "I must make sure to call her to see if she will be okay with me coming this afternoon." He says, putting the spoon back in the pot, keeping that wide smile on his face.

I give a brief nod and then cross my arms on top of the table. And within a few moments I rest my head on my arms. The dampness of the hoodie chills my skill, but I can't deny the comfort that it brings me. It's during moments like these where I am truly happy. When I can see that my brother, my family, is happy.

And we are safe.