Chapter Seventy Three: A Place to Rest

The first crow of an unseen cock pulled Obi to her feet. For days sleeping had become a heavy chore and the dark circles that accentuated her eyes, from her poor resting habit were proof that nature was at war with her.

She had become a robot, moving her feet mechanically around the house or the compound in search of a place where her mind could be at rest.

Mma had spoken with her deeply about life, the old woman could feel how she had turned into a vague version of who she used to be. The only problem with the old woman's analysis was that she did not even know who she used to be.

Obi walked into the bathroom and had a quick cold shower, pouring water particularly on her face hoping that the soothing effect would also hide her distress. She stepped out of the room and dried her skin. She grabbed the pomade and applied it generously over her skin before slipping into her underwear and finally her clothes. The final touch was the cologne her husband left for her.

Obi had decided to leave sweeping the compound for that day. She wanted to move around the village, to see if her hazy Obiefune filled mind would finally clear.

The compound was still dark when she stepped outside the verandah and she decided, she would wait till the sun comes out before beginning her voyage.

A torchlight flashed around and the light drew Obi's attention. Something was happening at dee Ogbo's house. Was he being robbed? Obi became terrified but a part of her wanted to alert him. The intruder was hesitant to leave that Obi could tell because of where the torchlight was pointed at. Obi advanced a bit, completely terrified and careful enough to be inconspicuous, even though darkness availed her the opportunity.

She garnered enough courage to move within a close range and when she got there, the feminine voice that hovered in the air pulled her aback. Were women now house raiders in the village?

"Jiri nwayọọ ha nwere ike ịhụ gị, Take it easy they might see you" Another Voice which sounded just like dee Ogbo's declared

Obi halted in her tracks and hid behind the "queen of the night tree", hoping to hear more from the culprits.

"Where did you keep the key? Turn off the light people might see you" The female voice questioned

"It was supposed to be here, amaghị onye wepụrụ ya, I don't know who removed it. Don't worry they're not awake, not yet. They would have been sweeping if they were"

Obi was certain that it was dee Ọgbọ this time, but she was eager to know who the female was. It was even amusing that he was slipping women in and out of his house.

They must have finally found the key because dee Ogbo led the woman to the gate, while Obi strained her neck to figure out who it was. The torchlight seemed to have read Obi's mind and directed all it's light on the woman's face.

Obi was shocked when she saw who it was. It just couldn't be, she quickly steeped away from the tree hoping that the couple didn't catch a glimpse of her as they exited the compound, before she got to her house.

Obi's lips curled into a smile at the hilarious turn of events, she had practically become a spy or a nosey relative.

The soft morning breeze lured Obi to a momentary sleep before the sun crept out. She was awaken by the vibration of the phone on the cane chair where she lay. Obi yawned before tapping on the phone.

It had been Benjamin's lawyer Mr John. Obi suspected he was calling her because of her husband's assets especially if he had made plans about their new ownership.

Obi's assumptions were asserted when the man mentioned Benjamin's will. She had never thought about what her husband left behind, his wealth had never been of concern to her. It was amusing when Benjamin always stocked her account with cash that she barely used.