Chapter Twenty Four :Miracles

Obi managed to drag Obiefune into the verandah, she panicked when she saw him fall and began to mutter prayers to God. She rushed to their water reservoir and took water in a bowl, she ran into the house and got a towel which she used to dab water and place on his forehead. Obiefune was running a high fever and when he became conscious again he started groaning. Obi unbuttoned his shirt to expose his broad chest and stomach. Obi was too tensed to even think of how beautiful his body was. She took more water and ran it over his chest. She sat on the floor with his head on her thighs and she kept telling him words to soothe him.

Obiefune's temperature fell but he kept groaning and tossing on the floor, Obi didn't know what to do. But she needed to get Obiefune medical attention. As she racked her brain and contemplated on whether to leave him to fetch help or to just stay with him, God sent her an angel. Obi was relieved to see Timothy who had a letter in his hand which he promptly handed over to Obi. He noticed what was going on and Obi told him to get help for them. Obi slipped the letter into her skirt pocket and prayed that Timothy didn't come back too late.
About thirty minutes later, an Okada man drove into their compound and Obi breathed a sigh of relief. They got Obiefune on the motorcycle and Timothy held him in place while Obi locked up their house before finding her way to the clinic.

When she got to the clinic the doctors were already attending to Obiefune so she sat in the waiting room and waited for news about Obiefune. Obi thanked Timothy who hugged her and went back to school.
After a while Obi remembered the letter Timothy brought her and brought it out. It had the school stamp on it and her heart began to thump as she tore through the envelope.
She thought that maybe the school was sending her away but to her surprise the principal had wrote for her to come back.

Someone had anonymously paid her school fees and her exam fee. Obi could not contain her joy as tears seeped out from her eyes. There was indeed a thing as miracle and God did hear her prayers. Obi thought about who it could have been and her mind kept pointing at Mr Obidike.
Obi didn't know when she slept off on the chair where she was waiting and it was until someone tapped her that she woke up. Mr Obidike was standing in front of her when her eyes flew open. He asked her what she was doing at the clinic and she explained everything that happened. Obidike grinned inwardly because Obi's words were further confirming the suspicions he had about his son and her.

"How is he? Ọ diwala mma?" she asked clearly concerned about his son

"Yes, he's being treated and the pain has receded. My son was diagnosed of appendicitis and he would be operated upon in two days time. He's sleeping at the moment but you can go in and see him." Obi stood up and started walking to the direction of Obiefune's room.

" Obiukwu! "

Obi turned to face the man" thank you for saving my son! ". Obi didn't know why she did what she did, her emotions were overwhelming and she ran into the man's arms and cried.
Obidike patted her back, comforting her with words but she kept sobbing. When she finally stopped crying she kept her eyes on his feet embarrassed from her actions.

"I should be the one thanking you for everything you've done for me. For the job and the fees you took care of. I'm very grateful"

Obidike smiled at Obi he had been paying her to work in the hospital but someone else beat him to the other thing she mentioned.

"You're very much welcome Obi, I see you as a part of my family and my children adore you" Obi blushed at his last words. "Did the man somehow know that she was involved with Obiefune?

" I did pay you for working here, but I wasn't the one who paid your fees. I had sent my driver earlier today to do just that, but someone else had already taken care of it. Seems like I'm not the only one who understands how important it is for you to have an education " The man smiled at Obi and she was forced to look up.
Obi couldn't believe what he was telling her, if he did not pay her fees, then who did?" The man patted Obi's shoulder and went away. Obi found the room where Obiefune was kept and went in. She sat at the edge of his bed and took his hands in hers.

" Get well inugo" Obi whispered. The thought of Obiefune going to the theater scared her so much and soon the tears began to fall again. Obi laughed at how Obiefune would have teased her of being a cry baby if he was conscious.
She made up her mind that she had already forgiven him. Obiefune's eyes snapped open and closed again. He looked at her and smiled, his eyes kept fluttering and Obi realized that he was battling to stay awake.

"Obi" he manged to mutter

Obi looked at him and realized that he wanted to say something. She felt she read something from his eyes, an apology that he always wanted to render.

Obi squeezed his palm and nodded "Just rest inula, it's fine"

Before he slept he mumbled something that sounded like "Cry baby" and a huge smile spread across Obi's face.

Obi watched him while he slept for a while before Chioma came and relieved her of the job . "Tobe said he's so hungry that he can consume a whole antelope and would not even be sated"

Obi laughed at her expression as she relayed the message. "Obi don't worry Obiefune will be fine, please go home and take care of your siblings before Tobe carries out his threat. You really need to keep your dictionary away from that boy"

Obi went home and kept thinking about the unknown person who had helped her. She sent a prayer of thanks to God and her helper, hoping that she'll be able to pay back someday.

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️