Chapter Twenty Nine :RoadTrip

"Are you sure you have everything you need?" Obiefune asked for the umpteenth time as they approached the park where they would board a bus to Enugu. The two had convinced Obidike's driver to get them to the park and the man was quick to oblige their request which surprised Obi. She had later found out that Obiefune usually threw in favors for the man in form of cash which cemented their relationship.

Some how the universe seemed to be in agreement with their little plan. Chukwudi's mother was to stay till Monday and Chukwudi promptly agreed to look after mma and cater to her needs. Mr Obidike had gone to visit his wife and would be staying the weekend with her.

The man had tried to convince Chioma to go with him, but she blatantly refused feigning sickness of some sort and at a point told him that she just couldn't go. Her father saw it as an opportunity to enjoy his wife's company and was quick to dismiss Obiefune on Friday morning with a wad of cash for feeding, accommodation, transport and other things.

Obiefune couldn't tell his father the main reason why he was going. He convinced the man about some sort of convention for medical students being held at Enugu and claimed that he was missing school and felt bad for missing a whole semester. His wolf cry earned him his father's pity who was eager to make him happy and soothe his pain especially because he was missing school and felt useless at home.

Obi wondered how Obiefune's father did not catch his son's lie, Obiefune had specifically told her that he wished his semester deferment could be extended because he was not ready to be stressed in school. Obi convinced Chioma to look after her siblings after she told her why she was embarking on the journey.

Chioma decided that she wanted Tobe, Ifenna, and Oluebube over at her house. Chukwudi was told to visit them often, which Obiefune objected to at first, but later grumpily accepted. Leaving her siblings felt hard for Obi, Ifenna and oluebube had cried and even though Tobe wore a straight face, Obi knew he would miss her terribly. Obi felt like a mother leaving her children and she often wondered how her mother coped with leaving them every time. Then the question of why their father had left them sufficed and she shook it off. She was going to see for herself the reason he decided they were worthless and find out if he was in danger of any sort.

Obi had packed books to keep herself busy, she had never really gone anywhere all her long life. The farthest she had been was to the neighboring village on her grandmother's bicycle to deliver news to Mma's snuff supplier. Obi remembered how many times she fell off from the bicycle which was way  bigger than she was and she had to stand so that feet could reach the paddles.

"Why are you smiling? I asked if you came with everything?"

Obiefune requested as he walked beside Obi to the bus park. Obi was drawn out of her thoughts and nodded. "I got everything, clothes, my toothbrush, soap, books"

Obi kept listing the things she packed just to annoy Obiefune till they got to the office where they were supposed to get their tickets. Obiefune halted and glared at Obi to urge her to shut up but she kept on mentioning things. When he finally paid the lady who seemed to be in a haste to attend to the next person, she tore him two tickets with their seat numbers and handed Obiefune a book to fill out their details.

The park had been buzzing with people ranging from old to young boarding busses to different states. The buses had name tags written on boards placed on top of them, used to identify the states they would be conveying to.

A microphone was used to call the attention of passengers when the bus was ready to leave and they would have to present their tickets before boarding the bus. There were hawkers who sold different things, from snacks, soft drinks, bread and even certain Hausa men who sold jewelry and wrist watches. Obi gestured to the mallam( as they were commonly known as) to come and when he did, she used the little money she had to purchase a black colored bracelet.