Chapter Seventy One : Learning to grieve

Tobe watched his elder sister move around the house doing chores she had brought upon herself. When he got home, he felt beyond sad to hear of Benjamin's demise. Benjamin was also a father figure in his life and his passing away shook Tobe. He knew his younger sisters were getting on well but his biggest fear had been his elder sister.

Earlier that day, Obi had gone to the mortuary to finalize things with them about Benjamin's burial. He had stated that he was to be buried beside his mother In his hometown. Obi wanted everything he requested to be as he had stated.
Mr John was the one in charge of most things, relaying each development to Obi. Chukwudi had promised to come over, to offer his condolences too.

Obi put on a brave face for her children because she needed to. The only problem she had was keeping food inside her stomach. Everything she ate tasted like chaff so she barely ate while she carried out her agenda.

Benjamin's relatives had been coming to the house offering their condolences and she was irked by the presence of some of them. Aside his great uncles and aunts, and some of his relatives from his father's side, Obi genuinely cared less about his relatives from his mother's side. They had all abandoned her husband and now that he was dead they became suddenly too interested in their welfare.

Amongst the people she felt this grave dislike for, was Chioma's mother.
The angst Obi suffered from, coupled with regrets made Obiefune's presence intolerable. She treated him like a plague avoiding him, having little to no conversations with him.
The last days with her husband, she had thoughts of another man in her mind. She had been committing adultery, maybe that's why Benjamin died. He probably saw his death coming and took them to the village, still Obiefune came there and ruined everything.

No matter how much she had thought she cared for Obiefune, she had realized that his closeness to her was toxic. Akubueze had also visited the house, encouraging Obi with words.

"Benjamin would be happy where ever he is, He always wanted to die fulfilled. You gave him two children, a peaceful home. You have to accept that you did well, you were brave! Ịnụ and you need to be strong for your children. Remember you can always call me if you need help"

Akubueze patted Obi's shoulder and she offered him a smile. Obiefune's mother was the next to offer her condolence and Obi cared less about the words that slipped out of her lips. She also smiled at the woman and moved away.
Her sons went to Funmi's house and the girls helped Tobe to carry out tasks that her husband used to do.

Obi picked out Benjamin's clothes and wrapped them up. He had instructed that they be sent to charity. The only clothes he left were the ones he hadn't worn. Obi went to her work like bees to honey, she would load the clothes  in boxes and move them out of their house to the garage where they would be picked and sent to charity.
Eyes were on her as she walked up and down, dragging boxes and moving clothes.

"Ịdị sure that she is doing fine?" Tobe questioned Ifenna as Obi brushed him off when he offered to help.

The siblings exchanged stares between Chioma and Obiefune and focused their gaze on a struggling Obi who was bringing a heavy luggage downstairs. She would grunt while pushing, often holding the rails of their stairs for support.

By the time she got to the last stairs she was panting and sweating. Obiefune wanted to help her so badly but he had seen the way Obi turned down Tobe's offer and with the attitude he had been receiving from her it seemed as if she did not want him near.
Obi leaned over the box, taking in gulps of air. She turned to her audience and smiled at them before pulling the luggage out of the house with its wheels.