Chapter 25

Anya was devastated to get regret letters from the companies she had interviewed for. While Sanjay was aware of her job struggles and referred her to the places he knew, she was yet to receive any sort of reply from them. She was stressed, and that did not help with her insomnia issue. She had stopped her therapy sessions weeks ago to save money.

She even stopped taking her car out to save on fuel expenses and walked to most of the places. She borrowed Sanjay's old bicycle, got it serviced, used it to travel to work and claimed it was for health benefits when Ajay enquired about it.

Ajay sensed something was amiss but did not comment on what was happening with her. She was not the kind of person to openly discuss her issues as her pride always came in between, and he was certainly not the kind of person to prod until he learnt the truth either.

Her ever tired eyes worried him, but as usual, she swept it aside. Everything else seemed to be the same as it was before, so he thought it was a temporary thing.

It was a Friday when Anya received another regret letter. The pressure was mounting; Though for now, her job was secure, she couldn't just relax. Samantha was equally tensed, and both decided to let loose in the pub they often visited.

"It's been ages since you came here. What was holding you up?" Samantha asked inquisitively while Anya only gave her a serene smile.

"Come on, girly! Talk to me. I sense someone special in your life. Who is it?" she teased.

Anya threw her head back and laughed. Though she wanted to scream that she was dating 'The Ajay Mullapudi', she was not sure if he wanted to share it with everyone.

She was aware Ajay still devoutly continued his Friday evening ritual, yet he never insisted her to accompany him to the pub and introduce his colleagues and friends, which stumped her. That was another reason for her to go to the pub. She wanted to know if he would at the least acknowledge her presence there, let alone introduce around.

"I'm sure you'll be the first person to know if I'm with someone," Anya placated Sam.

"Hmm, hmm sure."

"So what about you? How are you doing in that department?"

"No luck so far. And with our precarious job situation, really not sure if I want to take that headache too. Relationships are a nuisance unless there is enough monetary benefit."

"I never knew you were a money-minded bitch," Anya laughed but felt Samantha was being extremely serious.

Sam was not a frivolous person, but she surely preferred men with moolah as far as her dating history showed. She was an orphan who grew up in a catholic orphanage and was never adopted. Anya doubted if Samantha was subjected to other horrors like some kind of abuse there since she never openly talked about it.

Sam knew about life at the other end of the spectrum. She was disillusioned and liked to enjoy life, however, was cautious not to end up in the same place from where she began. It was a wonder she even made it so far with minimum damage.

"Not money-minded, just don't want to go back. I've been there and done that."

Before Anya could reply suitably, Ajay and his group entered the pub and located themselves in their customary places. He did not notice her.

For a moment, all Anya could see was him and was reminded of closed doors, heated kisses and hot lovemaking. She could also picture his forehead kisses and his hands touching her feet.

He looked chic in a light grey linen suit jacket and trousers over a dark blue polo shirt with black Oxford shoes. She wanted to hold his hand and douse in his presence. Sam looked up at her lack of response and followed her line of sight.