Chapter 18

They moved around the camp, and Anya recognized many of the plant species around the area. She pointed out and explained about most of these to Ajay. He was struck at how knowledgeable she was on flora, and he was baffled on her choice of undergrad education.

"Why?"

"What why?"

"You should be a botanist, but why are you a data analyst of all things?" he asked in disbelief.

"Because I'm good at it?"

"Ok. But you would be a GREAT botanist."

She took a deep breath and moved away from him.

"Shall we go this way or that?"

It was obvious that she was not ready to divulge anything beyond that. There were very few things that escaped Ajay's notice. Though Anya spoke about her hometown in glorious details, she seldom mentioned about her parents or her EX, and it did not take a genius to figure that out. Ajay wanted to know every single detail of her life. She had already met his mother and was friends with Anu. It only seemed fair.

"Why did you leave your hometown, Anya?"

Anya was caught off guard at his choice of a question, "That's not really important."

"It is. Not a few minutes back, we decided to become friends again. I want to know. You need to talk about it."

"I talk to a therapist about it."

"But I want to know. You know my family and are friends with my sister."

"There is not much to tell. My hometown is a small place. It has been the same since I was born. It would be the same, even after I die. No progress. It's kind of stifling, you know. I wanted to grow professionally and financially, so moved out from there."

They found a small enclosed area with wooden benches. He gestured Anya to sit to which she complied without further ado since her feet were aching. He sat next to her and turned to look at her.

Ajay shook his head in incredulity, "I don't believe you. Not sure what you are hiding, but the reason is not right. From what I know about you, you are not too ambitious. What I mean is, you don't run around for materialistic things. You only need money to survive, that's it. Beyond that, you don't try to own it. It doesn't add up."

Anya scoffed, "Who am I to escape the powerful 'Ajay Radar'?"

When Ajay did not crack a smile at her lame attempt to joke, she bit the inside of her cheek to stop herself from growing glum.

"Well, this is not some great mystery like the rust-free Iron Pillar of Delhi or something."

"Nevertheless, I want to know," he insisted in a low tone.

"Why?" she muttered.

"To be a true friend? I don't know. Just intrigued. Besides, it's only fair."

After a minute, he added, "Take your time. We have all the time in the world."

She was indecisive. She wanted to share things with him, but it was too early. They had reconciled only now, and she wanted to enjoy his company, not dig deep into her past. Moreover, her past did not include anything explosive. She had a normal childhood with caring parents, who were a little cavalier at times.

It was a small town and quite a safe neighbourhood. She often went to the park when she was young, only to find many mothers accompanying their kids. She even pushed her swing when mothers were doing it for their kids there. These were petty things that she never took it to her heart. But somewhere she did feel alone.