Episode 40: The In-Laws

Start from the beginning

"Please bear with her." He pleaded, almost a whisper.

Much more was to come as she kissed Emily on both sides of her mouth. The girl flushed as the woman pulled away and held her at arm's length while scanning her up and down. She looked over to her son with a broad grin.

"She's a pretty one."

Appreciative of her compliment to her physical features Emily said, "Thank you."

"Oh, no need to thank me, sweetheart. It's Him who you should thank." She sang, pointing up to the sky.

"Ah…"

"Mom, why don't we give you both a tour of the place? You haven't seen it since I did some renovations last year." Nicholas didn't await her answer and looped his arm his mother's as he led her inside.

Emily closed the door behind them and fell into step with his father. Paul shook his head at his wife's antics before turning to gaze at the girl beside him apologetically. It was clear she wasn't used to this type of behaviour around her daily.

"Rosalie can be quite the handful sometimes. Interrogative as well, but take it as her being overprotective of her youngest son and meaning well." He shared with her in case anything was to happen in the future to warrant her feeling offended by his wife.

Emily waved her hand before her.

"No, it's fine. She seems lovely."

He only hummed as they tried to keep up with the two before them.

Now Nicholas had become the one who was being dragged around by his mother. It was comical because she obviously didn't know where she was going, but didn't want to showcase it.

Tugging at his arm, her smile was wide as she made it to the spacious kitchen.

"Did you buy all the ingredients I told you to?" She asked, expectation painted onto her face.

"Nanny Kim had it covered."

Her eyes shone brighter with joy. "Oh how I adore that woman. Where is she by the way?" To match her statement, she searched around for a sign of the asian helper. Unfortunately, she was nowhere to be seen.

"She went to California for a couple of days to manage her restaurant business. You know, the regular. Since Emily's been here, she's been slacking off though." Nicholas added the last bit like a little snitch.

Whether or not it was the reaction he anticipated, Rosalie slapped her son loudly across the head. 

"Ow!" He screamed out, holding the area that was certainly in pain.

"Don't badmouth, Karen. I already feel bad that she's been here for you like a mother all these years. I don't know what I'd do when it comes to you half of the time if it wasn't for her."

"Alright, alright, Rosalie," her husband interjected, "Why don't you start cooking that famous spaghetti of yours you planned to show off to our new daughter-in-law?"

She looked excited at the idea of it and so did Emily. The girl was glad to know that they had considered her in such a warm manner without even meeting her. They really had taken their son's words for the truth about her merits.

"I'm going to need an assistant."

"I-"

"I'll do it." The tiny woman cut Nicholas off, making him look at her with uneasiness.

It was a known fact that her culinary skills weren't the best.

"Em...I don't think that's such a good idea." He tried to warn her with his eyes, but she wasn't taking heed.