For his part, Yoongi had shrugged into a tight-fitting black button down and slacks of the same color. His hair was messy as usual, but in a way that crooned "tousled" instead of "bedhead."

It took a lot of convincing to get Yoongi to agree to this. At first, he replied with his favorite comeback - "no way in hell" - but after a healthy dose of cuddling he relented with a begrudging, "I'm not going anywhere too crowded."

And so, you wouldn't. You could give him that much. Compromises, and all that.

It was a good thing you were obliging that request, too - Yoongi was feeling a bit cat-ish today. Nothing too serious, but enough to cause a bit of anxiety at the thought of taking him out.

"Whatever," Yoongi grumbled. "Are you ready? Let's get this over with."

You knew he was actually looking forward to tonight, though he'd never show it. Still, cautious, you asked, "Are you sure you'll be okay? We can take a raincheck."

Yoongi's nose wrinkled. "What did I say earlier?"

A moment as you tried to remember. "I believe it was something about -"

"I said I'll be fine," he finished with a hiss. "Now fuck off. Do you smell like me?" A heavy sniff. "I guess that'll do. Why do you insist on wearing perfume? I hate it. Let's go."

Yoongi had been making an effort to be nicer. He really had. So, you should have really stopped to think about what it meant for his assholery to show its true colors in such vibrant hues.

But you didn't, and with a final goodbye to Yeonglihan - who had disappeared, so the goodbye was shouted into nothingness - you made your way out of the apartment to the parking garage.

The drive to the restaurant was smothered in thick silence. Yoongi's arms were crossed over his chest, his back smooshed as far as it could go into the seat. His tail brushed your arm every once and awhile as it swished back and forth, but whether out of nerves or his usual grumpiness was up for debate.

Finally, as you pulled into the lot of your destination, you turned to your hybrid. "Yoongi."

"Hm?"

He didn't even look at you.

"Yoongs," you insisted.

"Jesus Christ, what do you want, Y/N?" he snapped, throwing his arms to his sides and shooting you a dark look.

"I'm serious. We don't have to -"

"I swear to god, if you suggest a raincheck one more fucking time -" he scrubbed a hand down his face, releasing a hiss into his palm. The moment of animalness seemed to be all he needed, and he straightened and said in a much quieter voice, "I'm fine. Let's go."

He wasn't fine. You could see it in the rigidness of his body - how he looked ready to pounce on any possible threat. But you trusted Yoongi, didn't you? If he said he was fine, then he was fine.

"Okay," you relented.

His fingers fumbled over the buckle of his seatbelt, clumsy and shaking. If only you used the number system like Hoseok and Taehyung, then maybe you'd know what was really going on. Wordlessly, you helped him unbuckle, and he shoved himself out of the car with an angry meow.

What was wrong with your baby? This wasn't just him being an adorable jerk, this was him being mean.

"Yoo-"

Before you could continue, Yoongi lurched away from the car. You scrambled to catch up, meeting him at the restaurant's entrance. His tail whipped back and forth behind him, and you grabbed the appendage and gave the white tuft at the end a soothing rub with your thumb. Thankfully, his shoulders seemed to relax a bit, and when he held the door open for you, he actually managed a brittle smile.