"Well come on, Chrissy has fixed us all lunch!"

"She cooks!" I exclaim. "Dad you better not fuck this up!" Both my dad and I were pretty useless when it came to cooking, indulging in far more takeout than could be considered acceptable after my mom's death.

"Jake said Italian was your favorite so I made flatbreads and salad." She motions towards the table where all the food has been set.

I grab a plate and fill it with slices of margherita flatbread and caesar salad. I take a seat next to Calum and we all dissolve into comfortable conversation. I learned that Christina was a skin cancer survivor, her experience with the disease led her to her current work with the American Cancer Society. She and my dad had met when the charity had held a work event at his vineyard and he'd offered to show her around. They'd clicked right off the bat and been together ever since. They asked about Calum's job and what it was like to be so far from his home and family. It felt like a real family dinner, something I hadn't had in almost 7 years.

As the time ticks by I almost forget the real reason it was so vital for Cal and I to come today. We moved into the living room after lunch and I sat next to Cal with his arm lazily draped across me. I positioned myself strategically so that my sweater didn't cling to my stomach and reveal my slightly protruded bump.

"It's getting kind of late we should probably do gifts so you kids can get on your way and make it back at a decent hour, I'm sure you're tired."

"Yeah, that's probably a good idea" I sigh. I'd really enjoyed my time with my dad and Christina, a lot more than I had expected to. I made a mental note to find time for another trip soon.

"Cal will you grab the gifts we brought from the kitchen?" I ask not wanting to move from my comfy spot on the sofa. He nods and disappears to find them.

Christina stands and also vanishes I expect to locate whatever my dad had got me. She comes back carrying two small bags about the time that Cal reappears.

I quickly rip open my presents to find a gorgeous maxi dress and cardigan along with a simple gold necklace.

"Wow, Dad. Your tastes have definitely improved. I love all of this!"

"Thank Chrissy. She helped me pick it out!" He says proudly with a smile on his face as he looks over at his girlfriend. I love seeing him so happy.

I thank Christina as well and hand her a card I'd picked up last night not wanting to show up with out her something. Her eyes light up in surprise when she realizes I've brought something for her as well.

"I'm sorry it's not very personal, but I really hope you're around next Christmas so that I can get you a proper gift" I say with a hug. She's wraps me in her arms and I'm overcome with emotion, she reminds me so much of my mom. I take a shaky breath trying not to let me reaction show. She thanks me quietly and opens the gift card for Target I'd gotten her.

The other small bags are for my dad. I hand him the first that he opens to find a new, nice watch. The last time we'd spoken on the phone he'd been annoyed after breaking his favorite one so I'd replaced it. He thanks me enthusiastically and I hand him the second small bag. "Please be happy about this." I whisper, he looks up with a confused expression but reaches into the bag pulling out the white cloth.

He frowns, still trying to figure out what it is. He unfolds it so that it's clearly a onesie and reads it "Grandpa's favorite!" He looks from the outfit to me then back to the outfit.

"You're having a baby?"

I nod trying to fight back tears. "Yeah, dad. We're having a baby."

He's quiet a minute more before standing up and opening his arms to me. I rush into his arms and am flooded with relief. "You'll always be my little girl. You know that right?" I nod.

"Congratulations!" Christina offers to both Calum and I.

We answer as many of their questions as we're able to and they agree to come down after the new year for the gender reveal. It feels like we've only just got here when it's time to leave. I say goodbye to both my dad and Christina whispering to my dad that he had better treat her right and we head out to the car. They wave from the front door as we pull away.

"Well, that's everyone." Cal says as he reaches over taking my hand in his.

"Well, it's all of our friends and family. What are we going to do about the public?"

"What?" He asks as his eyebrows shoot up.

"Cal you're in one of the biggest bands in the world. If you and I are going to be together our baby will be around and people are going to put two and two together. Are you going to tell them you're a dad?"

He's silent and his eyes move rapidly like I know they do when he's trying to put together his words. Finally he speaks, "so many aspects of my life are already so public. I think...this is something I'd like to keep private. Just ours, at least until the baby is born. I think it would be safer for you guys that way as well. Less chance of paparazzi and fans and just chaos in general."

I look out the window considering his words. I hadn't even considered our safety. So far Cal and I had only had one real public outing and it was just a dinner date to a local hole in the wall restaurant. We'd been sheltered from his fame and his very public reality, but how long could we keep it that way?

AN: Next chapter is the gender reveal (finally) so tell me your guesses! (And ideas)!

-Sav 🖤