39.

AN: y'all ready for some Calum POV?
🤭

Week 1 Jes

I'm not ready.

That's the first thought I have as I open my eyes and stare at the clock beside my bed. It reads 5:30 AM, the dim red light seeming to mock me.

Cal has to leave at six and I'm so unprepared. Paisley's cry from the bassinet next to our bed echoes the one in my mind.

"Let me do it." Cal murmurs, his eyes still closed as he sits up. He reaches out and squeezes my hand lightly before rubbing at his eyes and stepping over to grab PK.

"I need to get up anyway. Can you change her while I heat up a bottle?"

He nods and bounces the crying baby until her cries subside. I'm only gone a moment, just long enough to prepare a bottle of expressed milk and return. It's long enough for the dull ache in my chest to expand though. I pause as I enter the nursery smiling as I listen to Calum sing softly to the little girl in his arms. I try not to dwell on the fact that these are our last few moments together for weeks.

He spins to face me our eyes locking as I step in and hand him the bottle. He takes it and gives it to P pulling her close as she eats.

"I've got someone coming once a week on Monday's to clean the pool. His name is Jerry he has a key to the pool storage and he knows what to do. I also hired a lady named Maria to come by on Tuesday's and Fridays to help with the housekeeping, just whatever you need. The security system is up and running. You know the codes right?" He says pausing and breaking his gaze from Paisley for confirmation. "Okay and anything else just call, I have friends minutes away that can be here for you. Of course my parents are only minutes away as well until I get back."

A small smile is all I can muster in response. I love that he's went to such lengths to make sure P and I are taken care of, but selfishly I wish he didn't have to.

I remind myself that however hard this is for me, it's worse for Calum. Paisley is barely two weeks old and he's having to leave her. I can't imagine being apart from her and I know Cal adores her as much as I do and it's breaking his heart to be without her.

"I wish I could just bring you both with me." He says like his mind has been on the same track as mine. "If only she were a little older."

"We'd only distract you babe. You'll be busy all day everyday you won't even notice the days flying by." I say with faked enthusiasm.

"I promise I'll find time to call, okay? Even if it's only a few minutes each day. I'll make sure it's when you'll be up, I don't want to cost you even more sleep. The feeding every three hours thing is bad enough."

"Call whenever Cal. You're worth the loss of sleep." I say leaning in to press my lips to his.

"I-I guess I better head out." He whispers handing a now full and sleepy Paisley back to me. He slides on a pair of sweatpants and throws on a black hoodie. I clutch her to my chest and follow him downstairs and into our front room where all his bags are packed.

"This is so much worse that last time." He groans throwing his head back in frustration.

"I know." I choke out. He bends down and covers Paisley with kisses, she smiles in her sleep and though she's still too young for it to be a real smile it's sweet just the same.

I set her down in her dock-a-tot and Calum wraps his arms around me. He presses me against him until we're as close as we could possibly be.

"Fuck this sucks." He mutters. I agree against his chest trying to use every last moment to take in his voice, his scent, and what it feels like to be in his arms. I promised myself I wouldn't cry in front of him today and I close my eyes to fight back tears so I can keep that promise.