18

It was like a surge went through my body. The familiar sight of the tall tower that stood in the middle of Polis heightened the resentment I shared towards Lexa. The grey clouds hovering above us, almost ready to drizzle down the blood that we were about to shed over us, and the realization that this could possibly be the day I finally get the second chance in life I had been seeking all this time since we landed on Earth all those months ago.

It felt like a lifetime ago; the simple-minded girl with no combat skills and no desire to be involved with any drama, was now standing beside the Queen and Prince of one of the strongest clans, with thousands and thousands of grounders and warriors, ready to fight for what's just.

I took in a deep breath. The Azgedian armor I wore was beginning to restrict my breathing. That, or perhaps the sudden nerves coursing through my body like wildfire.

"Remember this day, my children," Queen Nia spoke regally, dressed in her royal armor of blue and white, her hair pulled back from her face with the braids of a warrior, and her face painted in Azgedian war paint. "This is a day of retribution and justice," she said, "and today is the day the world sees us as the superior clan."

I glanced at Roan all of a sudden. A gut wrenching feeling, a feeling that felt foreign passed through my body, and I waited anxiously for him to meet my gaze.

Roan, the Prince of Azgeda, stared ahead at the tall tower of the Commander with his icy blue eyes, with hunger and determination.

For once, I wish he would tell me what was going through in his mind.

Neither of us wanted this war, but it had come to this. The streets of Polis were cleared off from civilians, and what stood between the tower and us, were the dirty and empty streets.

Look at me, Roan, I thought. Look at me so that I can tell what you're thinking.

All of a sudden I heard the loud and rhythmic banging of war drums coming from the tower. I glanced towards it and saw Trikru grounders marching out from within. And as expected, the person leading it was Clarke and Bellamy, and their Trikru friends, Indra and Lincoln.

Suddenly, the confusion and anxiety I was feeling moments ago surpassed. My grip on the pommel of my sword tightened, and I exhaled sharply, determined to survive the day and bring Lexa to her ultimate demise.

-----

The rain poured down on us as if to wash us all off of our sins.

Bullets rained down on us, arrows, the steel cut through our skins spilling blood and lives of any man or woman that followed Queen Nia. It happened all too quickly, and I found myself separating from the Queen and the Prince. We were at a disadvantage against the weapons of Skaikru, that was a given.

In the journey to fight through the Trikru army to get to the entrance of the tower, I met many challenging rivals. Some fell to my sword, many intercepted from striking me down by other Azgedian warriors, and in the end: I found myself closer to the gate.

I was getting exhausted, but I knew I had to power through it. I had to do it for all those lives Lexa betrayed, for all the lives that I wanted to protect from her hideous and tormenting reign, for Roan and for the sake of our unborn child.

"Xavier," I heard the angry voice through the sound of the clashing of swords and gunshots, and saw Bellamy behind me when I turned to his call.

It was in that moment that everything went silent, and I felt like my life was almost over.