4

Roan stood by the cell gate while one of the Grounder guards put the cuffs on my wrists. I was silent as he then moved me towards the chains at the far back of the cell. He forced me down onto my knees and attached the chain to my cuffs.

I grunted in pain when I realized how tight the cuffs were. They were literally digging into my skin.

"Leave the key with me," Roan said in Trigedasleng at the Grounder who had walked up to him.

"The key remains with me," he responded back authoritatively.

Roan glanced at the guard with an annoyed glare, "She's my prisoner, and I am a guest of the Commander. You will leave the key with me, or I'll personally see that the Commander has your head for defying her orders."

The Grounder looked hesitant. After giving me a quick glance, he gave the key to Roan and walked out.

Roan stood where he stood all that time, and glanced at me. It was as if he wanted me to plead him to set me free.

He was right.

"You don't want to do this, Roan," I said in English.

"At what point did you think you had me figured out," he asked.

I moved my hands, letting the metal of the chain rub against the ground creating an uncomfortable sound, "Lexa will never give you what you want. You know I'm right."

Roan clenched his jaw.

"If you didn't think I was," I said to him, "You wouldn't be standing there hesitantly."

"Lexa promised me that she would lift my banishment," he said, "She promised to make me-,"

"King of Azgeda," I finished his sentence, "She promised to help us liberate the Skaikru in Mount Weather. But guess what she did in the last minute."

Roan exhaled sharply, frustrated that I was still talking.

"She promised a lot of things, Roan," I tried to sound reasonable, "There's no point in holding me captive. Keeping me locked up won't stop your mother from bringing her army to Polis." I realized that his silence was giving me the opening to enter into his mind, so I kept on talking, "She wants you to confront your mother. She wants you to do her dirty work. Do you honestly think that's going to end well?"

Roan glanced at the key in his hand and said softly, "My mother is my biggest enemy. She threw me out of my clan because..." his voice trailed off.

It was working. My pestering was clouding his mind.

"Listen to me, Roan," I said, "Look at me."

Slowly, he moved his gaze towards me.

"You said it yourself," I said. "You and I are alike. We hate being restrained. Think about it, and tell me," I gulped, "Aren't you being restrained right now? By a promise made by a child to deliver you your freedom?"

Roan stood silent, listening.

"Wouldn't you want to gain your freedom on your own volition," I asked.

He let out a deep and frustrated sigh and walked up to me. He crouched in front of me, and said, "What use are you to me without these chains?"

"Trust me," I said, sitting up to his level, "I am a lot of use to you without these things around my wrist. Let me go, Roan. Let Lexa feel the consequences of her betrayal."

It was as if those last few words hit a nerve. Suddenly, he began to remove the locks from my wrists, and once it fell off me. He got up and grabbed me by my arm and lifted me on my feet.