2

The sun had come up, and the blizzard that had taken the whole land for the past two days had left a thick layer of snow on the ground. So walking through them in our not-so-bulky pants had John and I freezing our souls off. But as Prince Roan and two of his henchmen led us through the snowy and mountainous path, our hands were tied together.

As if we would run.

Well, John might.

"Are these restraints necessary," I called out at Roan who was on his mighty horse while the two henchmen walked behind us. He did not acknowledge me, which only made me infuriated. "Can you at least tell me where we're going?"

No response.

I grunted in frustration and glanced at John. He glanced back at me and shrugged his shoulders, "Just tell them where Wanheda is, and they might consider responding to you."

"If you want them to find out so bad, why don't you tell them," I asked curiously. Why was John playing this game anyway? What was he up to?

"Because," he turned his gaze away, and smirked, "I'm more useful to them alive than dead."

"What do you mean," I asked.

He glanced at me, his smirk fading off his face, and a seriousness in his eyes, "What do you think will happen to you once you tell the Queen about Clarke?" he said loud enough for only me to hear.

"Stop talking," one of the henchmen said in Trigedasleng and shoved John. He lost his balance and fell forward on to the snow. Roan stopped and turned his horse around.

"Get up, Skaikru," Esop, who was the other henchman, grabbed John by his arm and pulled him up on his feet.

Annoyed at the way we were being mistreated, I turned towards Roan, "Where are we going?"

Roan stared at me, silent.

What was his problem?

"Do not speak to the Prince, Skaikru," the other henchman grabbed my arm so that I would not make a move on Roan.

All this manhandling; treating us like animals; it was starting to feel a little old. Frustrated, I drove my fists into his abdomen, and when he stepped away from me grunting in pain, I grabbed his sword and took a few steps away from everyone, pointing it at them.

"Xavier, what the hell are you doing?" John asked, clearly worried for his own life.

"Shut up, Murphy," I snapped at him and turned towards Roan, "You will tell us where you're taking us."

Roan, once again, stared at me silent. But this time, there was a hint of amusement in his eyes.

Damn, it!

Suddenly, the henchman charged towards me to grab his weapon from my grasp. But I stepped away from him and ran the sword across his throat. Gasping for air, he collapsed onto the snow, and the snow underneath him turned red.

I turned towards Esop and growled, "If you don't want to meet the same fate as him, untie Murphy immediately."

"You are in no position to make demands, Skaikru," Roan said.

I glanced at him and saw him dismount his horse. I gulped as I saw him slowly approach me.

"You forget," he kept talking, "You're a prisoner of Azgeda. And now, you killed one of my men. Do you honestly think that will go unpunished?"

Probably scared for my own life, I pointed the sword at him.

"My prince," Esop gasped.

I gulped when Roan stopped almost an inch away from the tip of the sword. He stared at me challengingly. But what surprised me was that amusement was still existent in his eyes. What was his game?