5

I watched as the Grounder guard walked outside after chaining me to my previous spot. He walked past Lexa who had just walked in, and sitting on the ground, all I could do was glare at her.

"Before I say anything else," she said, "I want to know how you escaped."

I smirked at her, challenging her authority, but sat silent. I saw annoyance run across her stare, but she remained calmly collected.

"Answer me, Xavier," she said sternly, "Before I make you regret being taken prisoner again."

"Did you honestly think these chains were worthy enough to have me bound," I asked, "You must be a bigger fool than I thought,"

"Don't make me wish you were publicly executed," she said immediately.

"You wouldn't even if you wanted to, would you," I responded, "Because that would mean the Skaikru would not stand behind you against the war with Azgeda."

Lexa took in a deep breath, but stood silent.

"Do you want to know why I came back," I asked her.

"I would like to think you're foolish," she said, "But I know being foolish is not in your nature."

"I don't know what kind of deal you have struck with Clarke for the alliance to even happen," I growled softly, "But I'll personally make sure it doesn't."

"Your people have already struck the deal with me," she said triumphantly, "Their men and weapons for a seat in my council."

What?

"Skaikru has been named the thirteenth clan, and I believe Marcus Kane is the ambassador," she smirked, "Safety and alliance is what will make you survive this harsh world. Tell me, Xavier; how did it feel trying to survive all by yourself all this time? You trusted an Azgedian and you were brought here."

"You're right," I hissed, "Trusting you lot was the biggest mistake I ever did."

"Don't tell me you're still sour about the whole ordeal in Mount Weather," Lexa scoffed.

"I had made it my life's mission to make sure you suffer for that," I snarled, "All those innocent lives would have been spared if you hadn't decided to strike a deal with Cage Wallace. All this time I was blaming Clarke for those deaths. But I should have come after you. It is your head I should have attempted to remove rather than Clarke's."

Lexa smirked, "You have a lot of talk for someone who is not even of importance,"

"You might think I'm worthless, that I'm unimportant," I growled, "But trust me, Lexa. When I stand over your weakened body holding a spear to your chest, you'll realize that you are not as mighty as the world makes you to be."

"You're threatening the Commander of all the clans, Xavier," I saw Lexa clench her fists, "I would tone it down a little if I were you."

"But you aren't me, are you," I sneered as I sat up on my knees, trying to intimidate her, "You're just a child who doesn't know how to do her job."

Lexa exhaled sharply, and her annoyance appeared once more. She was about to take out her sword, but stopped halfway. She calmed herself and then said, "You're lucky you live to see another day. The Skaikru requests that you remain unharmed, and that whatever sort of punishment that sees fit will be given to you by their hands. I cannot imagine what is in store for you."

I clenched my jaw as I watched her turn around and walk away.

---

Night had fallen, and I was weakened by the lack of food and water. They were literally starving me to death, but I held on to my will power. I was lying on the ground when I heard the cell door open. I opened my eyes and saw two grounder guards marching in. One of them knelt in front of me and began to remove the chain from my cuffs.