8

Two days had passed since we informed Queen Nia about our plan to get engaged. She was skeptical at first, accusing me of entrapping the Prince of Azgeda into a faux marriage just to get out of being from executed. I would say she was right to be skeptical. But Roan's ability to persuade proved effective, and she was forced to treat me as her guest rather than her prisoner.

I was given my own room, given a servant to attend to my every need, but was not allowed to leave the tower. Nia was still doubtful of my intentions, but according to Roan if I behaved and kept my "poisonous mouth" shut, his mother would not have any reason to throw me back into the cage.

On the second night since then, I was in my room, annoyed at the fact that two guards stood outside my door. I felt imprisoned nonetheless, but refrained from rebelling.

Suddenly, I heard a soft knock on the door.

"Come in," I said in Trigedasleng since neither of the guards talked English.

The door opened and one of the guards stepped in. He said in his language, "The Prince is here to see you."

I sighed. Was the whole formality necessary? I nodded and he left the room. Seconds later, Roan walked in in his royal prince-ly attire and nodded at the guard to close the door.

Once the door was closed, we sighed in relief.

"Is this necessary," I asked annoyed, "I'm being kept in this room the whole day. It just feels like a fancier cage."

"Be thankful," he responded as he walked across the room and peeked out the window into the world. Then, he glanced at me, "We might have a problem."

"Like always," I rolled my eyes and sat at the foot of the bed, "What is it now?"

"My mother does not believe that you are the Chancellor's daughter," he said, "She has sent a messenger to Polis and invited your people."

"What," I gasped, "No, they cannot be here. If they come, then our plan is sure to go down in flames."

"You think I don't know that," he responded frustrated, "And didn't you say no one except Clarke and the boy who shot me knows that the Chancellor is your father. Wouldn't this put his credibility amongst the Skaikru at risk," he said and then muttered when I gave him an amused look, "From what you've told me."

"I didn't think you were listening to my stories," I smirked.

"I wasn't," he responded immediately, "Enough with the sarcasm, Xavier. If what you say is true, how do we know Kane wouldn't acknowledge you as his heir?"

"We can't prove it, you're right," I said sighing, "But we're going to have to cross our fingers and hope Kane would acknowledge me."

Roan sighed and leaned against the window, "Maybe this whole plan was a bad idea,"

"Are you calling me incompetent," I asked.

"What other plan have you brewing inside that brilliant mind of yours if this one fails," he asked challengingly.

I sighed, defeated, "I don't know."

We were drowned in silence, pondering our exit plan, when suddenly the door opened and Ontari walked in in her warrior suit. When she saw Roan, she gave a gentle bow of her head and said, "My Prince,"

"What is it, Ontari," he asked.

"The Queen has summoned you," she reported.

"What for," he asked.