road trip

ROAD

ROAD

TRIP

written by AestheticJelly

review by -desolations

I'm going to make the assumption that this starts in Georgie's point of view. I like how ironic the beginning is with the thing about starting a book with no context - I think that it's clever. I'm a bit of a dork, so I really like how the chapters titles form sentences.

This is written in an unusual way with minimal details in each chapter but still enough to provide a little insight. In the second chapter, I believe there's a conversation taking place here but there are no quotation marks or dialogue tags. I'm not sure of the reasoning behind why some dialogue has quotations and some doesn't.

I honestly do feel like you're writing using Georgie's voice, which is amazing. It's her story and she's putting her opinions into it, no matter what they are. You approach sensitive subjects with strong opinions and I like that. When she talks about renting her body, she says it's because she wants to and that it doesn't matter what the feminists say. That's not usually an opinion we here when it comes to these things - it's typically an "I have no other way to survive" scenario, but with Georgie she says she has a right to sell it and that's that.

On the list of things she wish she could be, she includes black with the reason that it's hard to support equal rights when you're not black, and that's very true. Once again, this isn't something many people talk about, but people are constantly questioned for supporting a minority when they aren't the miniority. It's always, "how would you know, you're not . . ." This goes for a lot of things and I'm glad you mentioned it, even briefly. And then she talks about being a black man in America? It's the truth and I love it.

Too many times, I've seen people talk about subjects like these and the can be offensive, but you give nothing but the facts - no matter how harsh they are or unpopular. This "sensitive subject" thing is amazing, so keep it up.

We see a bit of the relationship Georgie has with Finn. It's not a romantic one, but rather a transaction. While in France, there's some development to their relationship when Georgie wants to kiss Finn outside of sex and seems to be jealous of the girls he's talking to. Props to her for admiting it too.

I find that your writing is stunning. In the beginning, things are a little vague but as the book goes on, things start to make more sense. I will admit that the first time I read this, I was confused about what was going on because their really wasn't any major details but when I got to the point where their reason for running (and it took me a while to realize that's what they were doing) is revealed, I understood it well.

At this point, I don't really know much about Finn's character but he seems interesting as well. Overall, I like the plot and how unique the story is.