sixteen

isaiah

i turned off the sink, and set my plate along with the others in the dish rack to dry. i glanced at the empty sink one more time before grabbing a towel to dry my hands and the area around sink.

nick got up from his seat and walked towards the sink, but then stopped in his tracks when i realized that the sink was empty. i internally groaned. why'd he have to get a second plate? i definitely did not feel like washing no more dishes but it was my night and he's the guest, or whatever.

i reached for his plate but he shook his head and retracted his arm. "nah, i got it mama. thanks 'doe." the word rolled off his tongue with ease and his voice was smooth and reassuring which somehow made me calm but weirdly giddy on the inside.

my eyes widen at the pet name and i brushed profusely. stammering out an 'okay', i quickly walked away from him and nearly sprinted up the stairs to my room and shut the door behind me.

i laid flat on my bed and ran my fingers through my dark tresses. that same word swimming around my brain. 

mama. mama. mama.

such a simple word, that was tossed around like a ball these days, now meant just a polite term, a word with many meanings, holding no significance behind it. yet each time i thought of that word, my stomach did backflips and somersaults, the sensation bringing a weird grin to my face.

the very fact of his common sense and courtesy to wash his own dish, something about it just made me happy. i racked my brain for logical explanations but i couldn't. 

however, my face began to falter a bit when i snapped back into reality. it was just a simple, four letter word. it's just a nickname. nothing more, nothing less. he probably calls all the other girls that. i wasn't special. 

sighing and rolling my eyes for getting my hopes up, i got up from my bed and went to my drawer and pulled out my long, plaid lounging pants and slipped off the shorts i had and put those on. the hem of the pants covered half of my foot and i got satisfaction from that.

i grabbed a random hoodie and put it on and made my way out of my room and to the living room to watch some tv. my mom probably went to sleep already. that's all she does when she's home most of the time.

as i made my way down the stairs, nick was coming up, not paying attention because he was on his phone.

i moved on the other side of the staircase as much as i could so he could walk past, but he stopped when we were shoulder to shoulder. "i'm bouta head out and smoke sum'n....y-you wanna come wit' me? i mean, you don't have to if you'on want to." he spoke softly, his accent coming through a little.

oh how i secretly loved when his accent came out.

"u-uh...um..." i thought about it for a moment. i wouldn't need to tell my mom exactly what i was doing.... and she did say we needed to 'bond'... and being high with nick was damn near like being in heaven and being his presence on an elevated level was something i've been craving since i first smoked with him.

"yeah...s-s-sure. i'll just... let her know i'm s-stepping out." i whispered. i turned on my heel and went back up the stairs, with nick close behind. him being so close made me increasingly nervous and i walked a little faster, but careful not to trip over these long pants.

i went to my mom's bedroom door and knocked twice, before hearing a faint 'huh?' and i cracked the door open.

"what's up baby?" my mom asked rubbing her eye.