three

isaiah

i took another bite and unconsciously moaned into the second bacon cheeseburger that i got from wendy's.

this was so good. but i still feel fat after ordering so much food. i frowned at that thought, but still took another bite from the burger, my eyes slightly rolling backwards.

in the corner of my eye, i saw the sun descended behind the may tall buildings that were scattered across our city.

"probably should get going." i mumbled to myself. i looked into the wendy's bag and saw that i still had some fries left and half of my lemonade.

putting all my trash in one bag and wiping off my hands, i restarted the engine of the car and began my drive back home.

the closer i got to my neighborhood, the more i kept hoping that ms. joyette and her sons have left. it's been hours since i left, so certainly, hopefully, they would be too.

but, knowing my mom, being very social, she'd find a way to have conversation with someone for hours and hours on end, maybe even a whole day if circumstances favored.

and i hoped that this wouldn't be one of those times.

after about five more minutes in the car, i had finally arrived to our street, and slowly drove down it, nearing our house.

i cursed to myself when i began to park the car in the driveway. i absolutely hated doing this; i didn't like driving because being on the road, any road, made me panicky and i was always scared that i wasn't driving right and that at any moment someone would honk their horn angrily at me, and i didn't think i'd be able to take that. so, most of the time, my mom or luna took me places.

successfully parking the car without scratching or bumping into anything. i turned off the engine and sighed heavily, popping a fry into my mouth.

i waited in the car a bit longer, just to see what would happen but everything outside was mainly still.

except for across the street.

across the street, his house precisely, there was distant laughter and low obscure voices, most likely belonging to a group of guys.

my forehead began to sweat. dammit. nick must have had his friends over.

maybe i should have come back earlier. or disobeyed my mom and come back much, much later.

i anxiously tapped my fingers against my thigh and thought about how this situation could have played out. he already knew it was me in the car, because he saw me leave. his friends probably already know that i live across the street; nick must've surely told them already. and now, time is passing and i'm still sitting in the car. i began to sweat more profusely at the thought of them staring at my car, practically waiting for me to step out so they can taunt me.

i feared it so bad, i began to bite on my already short fingernails, a habit i've been trying to break since i was a kid.

i wish i could just stay in the car until they all went away, but i knew i couldn't do that. that would make me look even weirder. and plus, i was craving my bed more and more with each passing second.

just to see, i glanced at the rearview mirror and i had a sort of good view of them from the steps of his house. and there nick sat. a rolled paper in his mouth and i watched him, intrigued, almost mesmerized, as he blew smoke in and out of his mouth like second nature. it was hard to tear my gaze away from him as he smiled a toothy, metal grin at the a brownskinned guy next to him, and he ran his hand through his shoulder-length dreads.