Chapter 17 - Contacted

Start from the beginning

"You! You wretch!" the first woman hollered again but screeched in fright when I tensed my hand and held my claws at her face threateningly.

"Shut your mouth, woman. Kiana and Yukio are trying to sleep and your shrieking is not only disturbing them but annoying me," I hissed. I wanted to threaten them more, perhaps tell them that I would rip their tongues out, but I knew Kiana wouldn't like it if I was rude because of others' narrow-mindedness. That was the only reason why I held back.

Although, it looked like their yapping had disturbed Kiana and Yukio enough to wake them. They stirred and rubbed their eyes simultaneously before looking around groggily. It was adorable and my mood that had been made bitter by the women instantly lightened when Kiana gave me a lopsided smile. She stretched her arms up with a hum before wrapping them around Yukio once again.

"Did you sleep well, Kiana?" I asked gently, my ears twitching at the whispering of the women in front of me

"Did you sleep well, Kiana?" I asked gently, my ears twitching at the whispering of the women in front of me. They were wondering why I was talking so shamelessly to Kiana and were even more shocked when Yukio squirmed out of Kiana's hold and fell into my arms.

"I did, Kyran. I hope I didn't bother you though...you know, sleeping on your shoulder and all."

"Doing anything for you is never a burden," I said and she laughed with a roll of her eyes.

"Goodness, you still haven't stopped being so cheesy!" she teased. She then reached into her bag for some melon bread that we had bought in the previous station and held one out for me. "Want one?"

"Sure. Thank you, Kiana," I replied and gratefully accepted the melon bread.

I glanced at the women who were now watching me with wide, disbelieving eyes and I couldn't stop a smirk from coming to my lips. It was small and chaste though and gone within seconds as I bit into the melon bread and closed my eyes at the delicious taste. The women didn't say anything for the rest of the journey back to Central. They glanced at us every now and then, smiling when Yukio did something cute, but didn't speak to us.

When we reached Central and got off the train after Yukio had dematerialized, we were greeted by Jean like usual. He waved to us and I smiled just a bit again as Kiana blushed upon seeing the man she loved. We walked up to him and I looked away as Jean embraced Kiana briefly, causing her blush to darken and a spark of joy to come to her eyes.

"Welcome back, Kiana, Kyran," Jean said.

"It's good to be back," replied Kiana. She smiled and watched Jean lovingly as he caressed her cheek, running his finger over the cut she had got there. He also looked over the scratches visible on her forearms and frowned.

"You got hurt again..." he said unhappily. "I told you to be careful on your missions, Kiana...you make me worry more and more with every mission you go out on."

Kiana laughed, shaking her head, and gently held his hand in hers. "I'm sorry I always made you worry, Jean, but it's all a part of the job, right? You get hurt while on missions too and make me worry too."