We are more than friends (Gladion x reader)

Who knew such simple words could tear up the fabric of what I thought I knew about life. Who knew that his words could be used to stab into my heart, colder then the snow falling to the ground where I stood.

"I know we aren't friends, Y/n, but I guess we aren't enemies anymore either," That's what Gladion said after I beat him upon Mount Lanakila. I guess in hindsight I should've known better to assume him and I were friends. We barely knew anything about each other.

I looked up at him with a slight smile hoping it could cover my disappointment. "Till we meet again Mr. Edgy french fry," I joked, using the nickname I had given him a while ago.

He rolled his emerald-colored eyes but kept his small smirk; and as I headed up to the Pokemon League, right before I turned around, I swear I saw a hint of pink covering his pale face. Although, that wasn't saying much considering how cold it was.

That day I became the Alola Pokemon Champion. It should've been the happiest day of my life but something kept tugging at my heartstrings, especially when I glanced over at Gladion. It felt like someone was playing Death Metal inside my heart.

"Yo, Y/n, did you hear me?" I snapped out of depressing thoughts and stared at my goofy friend.

"S-Sorry Hau, it's just a lot has been on my mind recently..." Like any concerned friend, Hau gave me a concerned look. In truth, I had never gotten over Gladion's words, despite it being over a few months. To make matters worse, Gladion began to ignore me for reasons beyond my knowledge. Had I done something to piss him off? Have I hurt him somehow? It's as if we have become strangers.

"Well, do you want to talk about it?" Hau inquired. I smiled at him and pointed over to a malasada shop nearby.

"Do you want to get some Malasada first?" I asked, knowing that Hau could never resist free malasada. He eagerly shook his head and he started to pull me towards the shop. After ordering, Hau and I sat down at one of the booths by the window. I stared in awe at how beautiful the weather was. Don't get me wrong, any day in Alola is beautiful, but today was exceptionally so. Or maybe it was me just realizing how elegant this region is.

"Soo," Hau began, "Although I do appreciate us getting some Malasada, I'm really concerned about you. You haven't been yourself lately..." I stared at him sadly but when I was about to answer, the waiter came out with our food.

Once the lady left, Hau continued to press for an answer. "It's a long story," I explained.

He shrugged his shoulders and replied with a simple I don't care. Knowing that I had no way out of this, I slowly told him how Gladion didn't acknowledge me as a friend and how I couldn't get over it for some stupid reason. I also mentioned how he had been starting to ignore me. "It's like he doesn't know me and I feel like it's all my fault!"

Hau gave me a sympathetic look, no longer smiling but not frowning either. "I didn't realize that that's what you've been worrying about," He awkwardly chuckled. "Usually I would be able to help in this type of situation but since it's Gladion, it's a bit harder. I'm sorry Y/n,"

I sighed in defeat; I guess in hindmost, I should've known that this situation couldn't be helped.   I wonder if I was strong enough to talk to him earlier, maybe, just maybe, we could've gotten to know each other more and eventually become friends. But instead, I had to be controlled by my emotions and focus on the past. And now Gladion doesn't even want to talk to me for reasons unknown, although if I were to be completely honest with myself, it was probably because of me.

I averted my eyes back to Hau who on his phone and seemed to be typing something. He looked back up at me for a quick second and then looked back at his phone. I cocked an eyebrow. "Who are you talking to?" I inquired.