The New Place

"But... how will I be able to, do anything really?"

I love it here, and I love having new friends and opportunities and such, but I could never think about leaving my family. It's family...

"We will obviously still have a house over here for whenever we want to come by. Because you can't be seen with any of us, you'd have your own place, just on the off chance that someone gets suspicious. And you will have the jet here, so you can fly to us whenever you'd like."

Why was she acting like I'm actually going to say yes?
"Mom, I can't stay at this school. Not if everyone is going to be there while I'm here. I can't do that."

"Sweetie." She put her hand against my cheek and softly caressed it.
"Yes you can. You can do anything."

"You want me to stay here, don't you?" I asked.

"I think it would be good. Of course you'd have to come and visit us every week. That's a rule, not a choice. And you'd call if there is ever any trouble. But, this school is good. You are the smartest one in that entire building! And you can do great things, without even having the 'Stark' last name." She smiled at me.
"It is ultimately your choice, but think of this as a chance to, have a little freedom.."

Freedom...
how I longed for it.
"I'd miss you guys though."

"And we'd miss you too." She brought herself closer to Me and planted a kiss on my forehead.
"I've already discussed this with your dad... I think you should go and talk to him."

I nodded and headed out of my room, going to the one place I know he'll be.

~~~~~

"Heyyyy dad." I chuckled nervously as I entered the lab. He was in his black tank while he worked on something I was unaware of.
"What ya working on?"

He turned around and held up both of his hands, holding something, but it was something I couldn't see.
"These."
He walked over to me and placed a small, tiny actually, sticker like things on the back of my ears. I couldn't even feel them.

"What are they?" I asked, rubbing my hand over them and trying to feel the difference between my skin and the tech.

"Those are your own special intercoms. Grace is programmed in there, and she will be able to help you 24/7 now. Even while you are at school. Your welcome."

"Ha, thanks dad."

"And these go with them." He said, handing me a pair of glasses, and a box on contacts.
"Put either of those on and they'll automatically connect to Grace. You've got the whole high-tech, artificial intelligence operating system going on there."

"Dad?"

"You know, you can do a lot of damage with those I'm giving you access to do literally whatever you want."

"Dad?" I asked again.

"Hell if you wanted to blow up your school and not trace it back to anyone, or even trace it back to a certain person, you could do it now."

"Dad!" I shouted. I knew what he was doing. We were both smart enough to understand that he was stalking. Stalling the conversation that i came here for.

"I know kid." He sighed.
"It's just... huhhh... I don't know what to do. You are the small, remodeled, version of me. How am I supposed to just leave you here."

"I know dad." I ran over to him and hugged him, as tight as I could.
"I'll be okay. I always am. And if anything happens I promise you that you will be the very first person I call."