Chapter nineteen

Once we arrived home, I rushed and checked if the spell was permanent. However, it did not say anything. All I can do now is assume that it was permanent. I do not think I can bring myself to tell him that I have no idea what will happen. "Arthur, are you okay?" Francis asked as I stared off.

"Yes, I was just thinking of what to make for dinner," I laughed, walking to the kitchen. "No need, I will cook," he smiled. "Are you sure? I really do not mind," I laughed opening the cabinets. "Yes I know, but you have done so much for me anyway; it is the least I can do," he laughed.

Wait, he probably does not know how to use the stove or oven or anything. "Let me show you how to use the stuff before you burn the house down," I laughed, pointing to the stove. He looked at it with a lifted brow.  "I will just use a fire outside," he said pointing outside. "No need for that; this is easy," I laughed walking up to the stove.

"Firstly, the knobs here control the heat for each one of the tops. These are for the left side, and they are for the right side. The higher the number, the hotter the heat is; the lower the number the less hot. Now, the first knobs on each side are for the tops in the very back of the stove" I gestured, doing the instructions and he nodded seriously. He was determined to learn.

"For the oven, the knob to control the heat is at the very top of the stove, right here," I told him, pointing to the knob that turns the heat of the oven on. "Again, the larger the number the hotter it is. The minimum temperature you will use is 350 degrees," I showed him moving the knob to 350 and then turning it off. "When the red light turns off, that means the oven is ready for you to put whatever in it," I smiled pointing to the light.

He nodded, looking at the oven. "I got this!" He smiled. "Okay then.... call me if you need anything," I said, unsure to leave him by himself. "Okay," he smiled, getting some stuff out of the cabinets. Hmmmmm, maybe he will be fine. I walked upstairs and went to my study. I am finally going to look at that book I read from the day I came to the house. I just know there is more to it.

I lifted the book and started to type the text I read into my phone. It took some time since my other hand was still healing, but I managed to find it out "Oh, the language is Croatian," I said, surprised at the interesting language. I soon started to translate the text until I was able to read it.

"How to see the dead" was the title translated to English. Well, I guess that makes sense. But I have no idea why this book would have been left here. It just seemed odd for someone to have left it behind. I stood up quickly and rushed down the steps. "Francis?" I called, walking to the kitchen. He turned around happily, and I saw he put on an apron of mine. God, he looked so cute.

"Yes, Arthur?" Francis walked up to me. "Uhhh..... do you remember anything of the last people who lived here?" I asked, laughing nervously. He always looked so nice with his hair up, but I couldn't get distracted. He thought about it for a bit until it hit him. "Ahh yes, it was 50 some odd years ago during the 50s-70s. I don't know, well He spoke another language, so I did not know what he was saying the whole five years he lived here. What I got from it was that he had a family, but they left him. What I assumed was his ex-wife would come by demanding things. Which I did not know was. But he seemed lonely." Francis said, recalling the person who lived here.

"Yeah, during that time, I was annoyed from so many people back to back living here. There were maybe ten different people who came before him. So I was bored and stayed to myself most of the time. The day he left was when I watched him again. He was rushed like he had done something bad and had to skip town. I never found out what it was, though. Almost like he saw a ghost or something too, since then, he was the last person to live here until you arrived" Francis laughed.

"Anything else?" I asked " Well, he did leave some things behind; I just assumed they were not important," Francis shrugged, turning around. "Why do you ask?" Francis said curiously. "The book I read by accident, I think it belonged to him," I said, holding it up. Francis looked at and nodded. "Possibly, but don't you have the records of the house? I thought that was something they gave you just in case," Francis pointed out, and my eyes widened.

"Francis!!! you are a beautiful genius, and I love you!!!" I shouted, making him stumble. However, I just ran up the stairs to get the records out. "Hey, wait!" I heard Francis call as I ran off.  I went to my study and took out the box of the house records. The people who sold me the house made sure I had all of them, that includes the people who lived here before and the house's history.

I set the box on my desk and rummaged through it until I found the file. "Hurray," I sang, opening it. The first person was the man Francis describes, which matched the time. I soon started to read about him, and I soon wished I had not. It horrified me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks for reading so far!!!

Also I feel much better from yesterday. Almost brand new.