forty-nine

"If you don't drag your ass out of the bed, you're gonna be late to your own party," I told Colby as I tugged on his arm.

He grinned. "Fashionably late."

I groaned, giving up. "What's it gonna take to get you out of this room?"

"Hmm," he hummed, thinking. "Let me pick your dress."

"Definitely not," I replied.

He shrugged, a sly smirk across his face. "Then I guess I'll just stay in bed for a little more."

"Fine," I gave in. "But please, keep me in mind as you're choosing."

"Oh, I'm definitely gonna keep you in mind," he smirked as he sat up and looked me up and down, wiggling his eyebrows.

I hit him in the arm. "I'm serious, Colby."

"Alright, alright," he grinned and pulled on my arms so I was stood in between his legs. He wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me against him, his cheek pressed against my stomach.

I chuckled and weaved my fingers through his hair. "What's up with you today?"

"Can't I just hug you?" he asked, his breath warm on my skin.

"I mean, yeah, but you're still being weird," I replied. "What's wrong?"

"That I'm going to Florida and you're going to Kansas and I don't want you that far away from me," he mumbled against my shirt.

"We've been that far apart before," I tried to make him feel better.

He let out a short chuckle. "Yeah, and I ended up in jail."

"Come on, Colbs," I said and grabbed his hands, pulling him up from where he was seated. "You'll be fine. Now are you gonna pick my dress or wait until I change my mind?"

His mood instantly changed. "Oh, I'm definitely choosing."

"Go ahead, then," I chuckled and gave him a small push towards the closet.

He dug through my dresses on the rack, and he did that for a good five minutes. "Alright," he spoke up and took a dress from its clothing hanger. "I found the one."

"Let me see," I said, and he turned around.

I smiled at him. "That's actually a nice choice, I'm pleasantly surprised."

"What? I also know how to pick something that's not all short and tight. Though I only didn't because I know you didn't want it," he chuckled. "Especially considering how bad I wanted it."

I rolled my eyes and took the dress from his hands. "How selfless of you."

He laughed and cupped my cheeks, kissing me before diving into the closet himself. "Now if you get dressed and make-uped and stuff I'll be ready by the time you're out of the bathroom."

I shook my head, slightly chuckling as I headed for the door. "Alright."

"And Ellie?" he stopped me from leaving.

I replied. "Hmm?"

"You'd make the worst dress look classy."

I smiled and continued towards the bathroom.

Once in there, I pulled on my dress and did my makeup and hair, then I pulled on my shoes. However, I couldn't reach the zipper with my injured arm from when Colby and I fell yesterday. I supposed I'd pulled a muscle or something. I walked back into the room, where he was indeed fully dressed. "Nice to see you've upheld your promise," I chuckled.