thirty

It had taken me a while to drag myself out of the bed and change into sweatpants and a t-shirt. I slipped on my shoes and gathered whatever belongings I had and packed them back into my suitcase. I knew I wasn't welcome here anymore.

I didn't want to deal with anyone, so I snuck out the door without anyone important noticing me, and I started walking. When I reached the end of the street I looked back at the street one more time and called a cab. It took me to the only place I could think of going to right now, and the only person that could actually do something of significance for me.

I lifted my knuckles to the door and knocked. When nobody answered, I rung the doorbell, and I did so until they finally opened up the door.

"Jesus Christ, man, it's three in the morning, what the hell do you-," Brennen stopped talking when he noticed it was me who had rung his doorbell. "Ellie?"

I sighed. "Could you let me in for just a moment?"

His eyes darted from my tear stained face to my suitcase and back, before stepping aside to let me in. "Are you alright?"

"Doesn't matter," I replied. "You need to do something for me and promise it."

"What is it?" he asked warily, his arms crossed.

"Get Colby to forgive you," I replied. "And take care of him."

"Elisha, what are you doing?" he asked sternly. "Where are you going?"

"Please, Brennen, just promise me," I pleaded, a fresh tear rolling down.

"Alright, alright," he shushed me. "I promise."

"Good," I nodded, turning back to the door, opening it.

Brennen grabbed my wrist to stop me. "Where do you think you're going?"

I yanked back my arm. "None of your business."

He dropped his hand in defeat, knowing damn well this wasn't a fight he could win. "Be careful."

I nodded. "I will."

And I left. I got back in the cab that I told to wait and made my way to LAX. I thought I would be feeling a lot of different things, but right now I just felt numb. I thought that maybe I was exaggerating when I booked that flight back to Kansas, but I knew there was nothing left in Los Angeles for me anymore. Not now that I had lost Colby. So I waited, for hours. A worker had come to inform me a spot became available on the 2 p.m. flight and that I could take it if I wanted. I did.

It was only when I was in the security line that I dared to check my phone. I had 18 messages and about 9 missed calls, none of them were Colby's. So I just dismissed them, clearing the screen. It revealed the picture of Colby and I at the pier, in front of the ferris wheel.

What the hell did I think I was doing? I looked up, only a couple people were in front of me. Some lady looked at me worriedly but shifted her gaze away again as quick as she had noticed my tears. My heart felt heavy and I felt like I was about to throw up. I just wanted to be home already. Someone called me again, I saw as my phone lit up. It was Kat. I picked up, if only to let her know I was still alive.

"Ellie? Thank God. Sam, she picked up. Ellie, where are you?" she spoke, all very quickly.

I sighed. "I'm alright, Kat. Don't worry."

"But where are you?" she asked hurriedly.

"At the airport," I replied, silently.

Kat was silent for a couple of seconds. "You are not seriously thinking about getting on a plane."