twenty-three

The next day consisted of everyone just charging up again, from the exhausting TFIL recordings the day before. That was really all that happened, and now that day was over and we were halfway the day of the party. Everyone was running around the house, careful not to forget anything. Except for Colby and I, who had already done what they had asked from us.

"I heard from a little bird that your birthday is next month," Colby said. He was sitting on his bed as I was sitting in his desk chair with my drawing tablet, working on another project for the company.

"Is that so?" I chuckled.

"On Valentine's Day," he added, wiggling his eyebrows.

"Maybe," I replied with a grin, saving whatever I had and putting my tablet down on the desk.

"Sam told me," he said. "And we agreed on throwing you a great party."

I lifted an eyebrow. "You really don't have to. I barely know anyone in the area, anyways."

"That's fine, we'll take care of it," he smirked.

"You guys really throw a lot of parties," I said.

"It's been a month since the last one."

"And you think that's long?" I asked.

"Yeah," he answered. "For our standards."

I chuckled. "I was going to ask for today's dress code but by now I know better than to ask you."

"I'll try not to take offense," he replied, fake hurt. "But I know you'll make a good choice. You always do."

"I already have something in mind," I stated. "How much time do I have left?"

"People will be coming in in about half an hour," he replied.

"Good," I answered. "I'll get ready then."

He nodded and stood up, leaving the room to me. As I had already showered, I only had to dress myself and do my make up and hair. I picked a tight, black sequin dress from my clothes and dug out my favorite black heels. I proceeded into the bathroom and got dressed. I did my make up and my hair and when I was ready, I walked downstairs.

There weren't a lot of people yet but they were starting to flow in, the music however was already really loud and the disco lights were flashing without remorse.

"See? I was right," Colby called out over the music as I was at the bottom of the stairs. He approached me.

"About what?" I asked.

"That you'd make a good choice," he smirked as he looked me up and down. "You look amazing."

I chuckled. "You don't look too bad yourself, Brock."

"I'm gonna have to wrap you up in a carpet to keep all the guys from looking at you. And probably girls as well," he said.

I raised an eyebrow at him. "I don't see the problem."

"Hmm," he said. "Problem is I just wouldn't want anyone to think they can make their shot with you."

"Why's that?" I asked him and watched his expression turn into a smirk.

He leaned in close enough that I could feel his lips on my ear and his breath in my neck.

"I'm quite the jealous type and I'm rather fond of you," he whispered. His voice was low and raspy and it made my breath hitch. However, before I could say anything else he left to talk to some guy he knew.

I took a deep breath and headed towards the kitchen, so I could down my trusted shot of tequila. And another one. And then a third.

"Woah girl, you good?" Kat said, who was suddenly standing next to me.