forty-three

Sam was setting up the candles for the seance, as Jake and Corey were watching him. Colby and I were back on the couch, watching TV. We both weren't really looking forward to this.

"Are you going to be okay?" I asked, turning my head to look at him.

He averted his attention from the TV to me. His hand grabbed mine and gave it a small squeeze. "Yeah, I'll be fine. We're gonna be fine."

I nodded. "Let's do this."

He smiled an anxious smile, and then Sam called from the dining room area. "Guys, you ready?"

"Coming!" I called back and jumped onto my feet as Colby turned off the television.

I skipped over to the dining room and looked at the table. There were five white candles placed on top - one for each of us - and the camera was sitting at the end of the table, near the edge. Sam, Corey and Jake were already seated; Sam at the head of the table next to another chair that I assumed was for Colby, Corey on the right and Jake on the left.

Colby joined me and sat down in his chair, after examining the table as I just did.

"Where do I sit?" I asked, my hands bound together in front of me.

Sam looked up at me. "You can choose."

"Next to me it is," Colby grinned at me and pointed at the empty chair in between him and Jake.

I chuckled, a small sigh escaping my lips as I sat down in between Jake and Colby. I looked at the viewfinder of the camera. "Is it rolling?"

Sam nodded. "Yeah, everyone ready?"

"No, but let's get this over with," Corey laughed nervously. Colby pulled out a lighter and lit his candle.

Colby handed me the lighter so I could light my candle as well, after which I passed it onto Jake. Sam nodded, and started by talking at the camera. "We promised in our last video we were gonna do a seance and... we're gonna do a seance."

I watched as Jake lit his candle and then gave Corey the lighter. He also lit his carefully. Colby spoke up. "Do we wanna do the seance? Not really!"

"But if anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen right now," Sam added, also looking at Corey and then taking the lighter for his own candle. He spoke as he lit his. "So, we each have our candle."

"So, how do we even start a seance? Like what is the definition of a seance?" Colby asked. Corey vigorously shook his head, and I felt bad for him. He really didn't want to do this.

"So, let me read it off just to make sure I got the entire-," Sam said as he pulled out his phone from his pocket.

Corey interrupted him. "I'm not doing a seance."

"Well, we're doing a seance," Sam said as he typed away at his phone.

"We're doing a seance, motherfucker," Colby grinned, nodding.

I rolled my eyes at him, thinking about how scared he was himself earlier.

Corey's face changed into an even less amused expression. "I'm going to walk away."

"How do we as humans decide how to correctly summon something that's not...", Jake started, but couldn't finish as Sam interrupted him. I just frowned at his strange use of words.

"We don't really know," Sam replied.

Jake continued. "I don't think anyone truly knows. So I think as long as we have the feeling of us believing in something, trying to communicate with something no matter what; if something wants to talk to us - they will."