twenty-one

The next day was pretty lazy. We were all just scattered around the house all day, doing nothing really. It was late in the afternoon and I was on the couch with Colby, we were scrolling through Netflix trying to find a movie.

"God damn it, why is this so hard?" he asked frustrated, and I understood him because we'd been looking for about ten minutes already.

I took the remote from his hands and turned the TV off, standing up. I pulled him from the couch and onto his feet. "Alright, this time I'm taking you somewhere."

"Alright," he said surprised. I pulled on my shoes and patiently waited for him to do the same.

"I'm gonna be needing your car," I chuckled as we walked into the hallway.

"Oh really?" he said smiling, raising his eyebrows.

I nodded. "Yep." I slowly moved backwards towards the key rack but Colby beat me to it and snatched his keys off it.

"Hmm, aren't you gonna ask?" he said as he walked outside.

I followed him and closed the door behind me, I leaned against one of the pillars. "Could I please borrow you car? You know, so I can get us toward our destination?"

"You're gonna have to ask it nicer," he joked, walking towards me.

"You could just give me the keys, you know," I chuckled. "This doesn't have to be so hard."

He backed me up against the pillar and stared into my eyes. "Don't know about that," he chuckled silently.

I leaned in, pretending I was about to kiss him, but right before our lips touched I snatched the keys from his hands and ran off with them. "Gotcha!"

He shook his head as he laughed and put his hands in his sides. "You got me."

"Now come on!" I said as I hopped into the driver's seat.

Colby did as I told him to and I started driving toward the center of Los Angeles.

"Do you even know where you're going?" Colby laughed after a couple minutes.

"Barely," I chuckled. "But I think... Ah, there it is."

I pulled into the parking lot and parked the car. "The movie theatre?" Colby asked.

"We better find a movie we wanna watch now," I joked, referencing to our struggle from earlier with Netflix.

We walked into the building and looked at the movies. "Escape Room is in since yesterday," Colby said.

"You wanna watch that one?" I asked.

He shrugged. "What do you wanna watch?"

"Escape Room sounds good," I nodded. I held Colby back as he tried to go to the register. "My treat. I took you here. And that's final."

It was a struggle but he eventually let me get the tickets. We also grabbed some popcorn and nachos, because I loved those. Especially the movie theatre ones. We carried everything to our seats and sat down.

"It's been a while since I've last been to a movie theatre," I chuckled.

"Oh, really?" Colby asked, sipping from his drink.

"Yeah, not, like, crazy long but a year I think. At least," I replied. "No one I know back in Kansas really likes them."

"How do you not like movie theatres?" Colby asked, getting a nacho.

I shrugged. "I have no idea."

The ads started playing and after that the movie started. It was a good movie, but it was weird, and after it was done and the lights turned on, I kept seated for a few seconds.