WHO ARE YOU

PHOEBE POV:

Excusing myself as I entered the conference room, I quickly made my way to the seat beside Federick

Excusing myself as I entered the conference room, I quickly made my way to the seat beside Federick. With all eyes curiously following me, I felt like I was back in my first and last year of high school. Unlike the male population from my company, who knew not to eye-fuck me, the males from Alpha Group haven't gotten the memo yet. They openly checked me out; lust written all over their faces.

Sensing Federick's potent stare beside me, I felt a pull to give him my undivided attention. I'm usually more than capable of ignoring his ass, but at that moment, I couldn't seem to look the other way.

Studying his face, it took no genius to understand Federick wanted to know why I was late. He wanted it right after the end of this meeting. Fortunately for me, it was the first day of the briefing, and it will go on for hours without any breaks. This should give me sufficient time to make up a good enough excuse. And if luck were really on my side today, I would get the chance to make a run for it without having to confront Federick.

Bringing my attention to the presenter in front of me, I made an exceptional effort to dismiss Federick from my mind and view. Studiously eyeballing the relatively young handsome man's every move while he was presenting for the whole duration of the meeting, he seemed oddly familiar. Yet, I couldn't for the life of me figure out where I've seen him. He was easily 4 or 5 years older than me.

Feeling my stare, he knowingly smirked at me every single time his eyes would fall on me. Growing peculiar, my need to know who he was intensified. For all I knew, he could be one of my enemies; someone aware of my true identity or someone sent by Vanderwill.

The instant that horrid thought wholly registered, I stiffened. Rigid as a rock, I was tensed out of my mind. Part of me knew this possibility was hardly probable given the place I was in. But that dark thought was already influencing me. I couldn't believe how much Vanderwill still manages to affect me after so many years. I hated the control he had over me, with every fibre in my body.

Nudging my thigh with his own, "What's wrong?" Federick stealthy whispered.

Deducing the concern I heard in his tone as a figment of my imagination and what I call a 'Vanderwill after-effect', I discreetly shook my head, indicating I was okay. Federick, however, did not buy it. Going the extra mile, I sent him a sideways glance and a sweet smile, letting him know there was no need to worry. If that was even a possible emotion from him.

Swiftly nodding without any more questions, he returned his attention to the presentation. Although, every now and then he would sharply glare between the guy presenting and me. Particularly when the guy would deliberately smirk at me with a lingering gaze. Then again, whenever I would turn my attention to Federick, his usual cold standoffish posture would welcome me. As if the dark aura and pissed off glare I sensed from him whenever I would 'ogle' at the man doing the presentation, was a figment of my imagination.