42

CHAPTER 42

Boys and Earthworms

REN

"WILL YOU SLEEP here with me instead?" Q asked in his distinctively natural soft and small voice as he flattened his baby blue sheets.

I looked at him and smiled. I think he took that as a yes.

"I heard everything," aniya at ako ay kanyang hinila sa kamay upang umupo sa kanyang tabi sa kama.

His room really looked so clean, organized and sanitized. I don't know if it was due to the kid's preference or a pattern that they follow to treat him but as much as I can see, he likes it that way.

"Did Kei hurt you?" he asked from under his lashes. He signalled me to stop bouncing my leg from the floor by placing his hand over my knee.

I shook my head and sniffed the attempt to shed tears in front of the child.

Now that I was given space and time to think of what happened, I knew that he's got a point when he doubted about my readiness to pursue.

"Kei can be very scary at times. He spoke like that to me too when I almost got lost in the airport and I reached the runway. A jet almost crushed me if he wasn't there."

"Did you cry?"

"Of course, I did. He's scary. But he apologized right away when he saw that I am getting afraid of him. Kei rarely apologizes."

I can see where this kid is going but I also know that he was not trying to save his brother's face here because what he's telling me were things I needed to know because I don't know them yet.

And I appreciate it.

"Did you forgive him?"

He studied me even though I was taller. Then he jumped down the bed and went to retrieve the sketchbook and tore his drawing of me from the pad and handed it to me. "Yes, I did. I understood why he was like that. He always understands me when I throw tantrums over simple things. You know, Renaissance... my family thinks I do not know that I have Asperger's syndrome. I know, though. Only Kei noticed that I am aware of my condition. He understood me so well and so I might have to understand his downsides too."

I looked at him and he caught my gaze. I realized his resemblance to Knight. They both held sharp and intelligent eyes that could make anyone squirm and feel like they are being read from their minds down to their darkest secrets.

"You can hug me, you know," he permitted and I didn't waste my time.

He placed his small hands on my back and patted them. "Thank you, Q."

He pulled back and cringed. "That sounded so funny. My name is Charledenth Quincy. You can decide how creative you could call me. I like people who give me nicknames other than Q."

I grinned and said, "I'll think hard for that."

"Appreciated that," he formally said and then added, "Now could you please hand me my sanitizer so I could get rid of the microbes you transferred to me when I let you hug me?"

I LEARNED LOTS about Q.

"I like it when you wait for my approval before doing something in my room," aniya.

"Hindi ba ganoon naman dapat?"

He frowned but then he said, "You speak Filipino too fast. I can't catch up. Anyway, I don't like it when my dad brings young girls for Kei to meet. Dad always does that when Kei gets here from New York."