30

CHAPTER 30

Boys and Hair

REN

HE LOOKS AS if he was about to faint the longer I let silence drift between us.

Iniayos ko ang buhok kong patuloy na humahampas kasabay ng ihip ng hangin ngunit natigilan ako nang agawan niya ako ng gawain. He expertly grabbed my hair in a fistful and flicked the remaining short strands away from my face.

Sa totoo lamang ay nag-iisip ako ng sasabihin.

Hindi ko alam ang dapat na sabihin.

Lumaki siya sa Amerika. Hindi ako ganoon kamangmang para hindi magkaroon ng kamalayan sa kulturang mayroon ang mga kabataan sa bansang iyon.

"Aren't you really going to say anything?" aniya nang may bahagya nang pag-aalala.

Pasaglit ko siyang tinignan bago ako muling umiwas upang makapag-isip ng sasabihin.

"Ano bang dapat na isasagot?" tanong ko nang wala na akong maisip pa.

He looked at me as if I have grown two heads with dancing pigs on my shoulders.

"Are you serious?"

I felt his grip tighten against the two ends of the handkerchief that was hooked from the back of my neck.

I blinked for maybe thrice or more, trying to figure out what he wants to hear but then I surrendered and looked at him like I am a complete idiot.

His mouth slowly parted like a sign of disbelief and I couldn't unsee the tinge of pink around his cheeks that might be because of the mid-morning sun.

"Ren," he called me out and his voice has grown stern now as if he will scold me anytime. I felt him tug the handkerchief slightly which made me jerk forward for a bit. I felt his warm coffee-aromatized breath.

"Bakit?"

"I like you."

"And?"

"Are you serious?! Are you serious right now?!"

"I'm more like confused...?" I seem to even be not so sure what to say now. I'm not even sure if I am confused. I just felt like it could pass as a reason for him to stop acting like I did something wrong to him and now he's close to getting angry.

"How could you be so confused when I literally just told you what you need to know?"

I can hear him restraining from raising his voice. His proximity as he speaks doesn't help me from getting addicted to his voice and smell little by little. I really like his hair too. Oh, yeah. That could fit it. His hair.

"Uhm..."

He calm down for a bit and straightened his back as I searched for words.

"I like your hair."

I think that was enough because he looked away, trying to bite his lips so hard before walking away, nodding his head and restarted the engine to lead us back to the landing. He even took his handkerchief from me and tied it around his forehead as we walked back to the institution.

THE KIDS SENT us sweet goodbyes and some kisses to the cheeks as we finally bound to travel back home. The ride back felt a little quicker. Mag-aalas tres na rin ngunit hindi pa kami nakakapananghalian. Kanina pa hindi umiimik si Knight ngunit maaaring dahil napagod lamang ito at dahil din sa hindi ko rin naman siya kinakausap. Nasa tapat pa rin ako ng bintana ngunit nasa pangtatluhan kaming banda kaya naman may babaeng kaupo si Knight sa kanyang kanan. Maingay ito habang may katawag sa cell phone.