28

CHAPTER 28

Boys and Bad Blood

REN

WE GOT OFF the tricycle and there was a single lane going down the clearing. There were trees lining the side of the street. It looks so quiet.

"We'll walk from here," he informed me and I'm really not surprised. He unrolled the sleeves of his light grey hoodie as we felt the breeze of the probably nearby lake he was talking about.

We have walked a few rounds when I saw some children from the right side of the lane. I was surprised when they ran up to us when a kid yelled as he pointed to our direction. Napahinto ako pero si Knight ay nagpatuloy lamang sa paglalakad at ilang sandali pa ay inilapag niya ang backpack niya sa sementadong kalsada at saka tinanggap ang yakap ng batang may hawak na trumpo. Kumapit ito sa kanyang mga binti.

He laughed.

There was a playground not far from here as I saw where the kids are rushing from. The seesaws were painted yellow and green.

Hindi nagtagal ay nag-aagawan na para makalapit kay Knight ang mga ito. I watched him pay attention to each of the kids. "Ren, come and say hi."

His smile is boyishly beautiful.

The smallest boy tugged his pants and gestured for him to lift him up.

Kinarga niya ang bata.

He looked at me again as his eyes grew innocently questioning why I am not walking up to him. The truth is I am having nostalgic episodes right now. The kids were all boys and were wearing clothes which seemed to be all hand-me-downs.

I drew a massive breath before walking up to him.

The kids looked up at me and I smiled, awkwardly. "Hello."

Their stares lingered for a moment before they switched back over to Knight.

"Bumalik na kayo doon, baka pagalitan kayo. Susunod kami," aniya sa kanila at nagsunuran naman ang mga ito sa pagtakbo pabalik sa paglalaro.

The kid in his arms shook the plastic maracas on his hands and pointed it to me. "Mama!"

It sounded cute but I felt awkward. On the other hand, I kind of wanted to hear it again. Knight chuckled.

"This is Calvin. Calvin, kiss Mama," aniya at iginiya nga nito sa akin ang bata.

Calvin's lips went for a kiss. He's cute and so small. I am not good with kids but this time, I don't want to mess up just by refusing a single kiss. Baka mapaiyak ko pa siya kapag hindi ko siya napagbigyan.

I leaned and Calvin planted a wet kiss on my cheek. He giggled as he pulled out and wiggled against his hold. I held my breath for a while. They look so picture-perfect. I was caught off-guard when he threw his warm gaze on me. His brown eyes looked crisply golden as the sunlight washed his face.

"You look good on my handkerchief, Ren."

I did not expect that coming. I watched him lead the way toward the narrower footpath that branched from the lane. I didn't realize that I was holding my breath.

IT TOOK ME a minute to catch up. Calvin was rambling incoherent words to Knight. The latter nods and hums like he understood him perfectly. Calvin shook the maracas again.

"We're getting there, Ren."

"I don't see houses. Where do these kids live?"

Tipid siyang ngumiti. "They live at the house that once lived in."