Ch40. Which One Now?

Start from the beginning

"Well... if you girls really don't mind," Jennie shrugged and could not help laughing at the goofy cheers from the rest.

While Lisa and Rosé fussed over the GPS screen which they insisted on using to route to Jennie's home, Jisoo was suddenly reminded of something, "Gosh, it's only a little past six in the morning! Will Mrs. Kim be awake?"

"Yeah, don't worry, she's an early riser," Jennie chuckled with her eye-smile, and by an irresistible force Jisoo reached out to tuck a stray strand behind the brunette's ear, making the girl blush that prettiest shade of pink that Jisoo only wished she could look at every day.

And so lost was she in that beautiful face that she did not even realize she was slowly leaning in towards the girl who had stolen her heart.

There was a tension in the air between them, and Jisoo swore Jennie leant towards her with eyes that flickered down to the raven's lips, but in the next moment Jennie was retreating and clearing her throat nervously and breaking the gaze they held.

Hiding her disappointment, Jisoo did a little laugh awkwardly as she scratched her nape, backing away as well, "Yeah, like mother, like daughter."

And I pray I can keep both safe.

----------

Within fifteen minutes, they were exiting the highway and navigating the bends into a narrow alley that would lead to Jennie's home. And Jennie could not be more excited at the thought of surprising her mother with this unplanned visit. Her mother loved company.

"It's that building up ahead," Jennie stuck an arm out between the driver seat and the passenger seat, pointing eagerly at an old building about 200 metres away. Although it was a little rundown and nothing like the swanky fancy ones Jisoo must be used to, it was nonetheless a place Jennie and her mother had scrimped and saved up for and they were happy to call it home. In fact, this apartment was already the best one to date.

Suddenly, a loud bang sounded from the right side of the car, making Jennie and Lisa yelp in shock while Jisoo and Rosé cursed aloud.

"D-Did we run over a cat or s-something?" Lisa asked shakily, seeing no other vehicle in view under the dim lighting of the quiet road.

"Nah, I think it's just a flat," Rosé turned around to rub her girlfriend's hand reassuringly, and for a moment Jennie wished a certain raven would do the same for her. It was a silly thought but she could really use a hug right now to calm her frantic heart down from the fright. Instead, she took deep breaths to steady herself.

When she peered over at Jisoo, she found the raven wordlessly solemn, surveying the surroundings with intimidatingly sharp eyes. A cross of worry and alert was etched across Jisoo's otherwise soft features and Jennie would have reached out to smooth them, if she were not a little afraid of this side of Jisoo.

Before Rosé could unlock her door to step out of the car, Jisoo intervened with a firm hold on Rosé's arm, "Wait."

There was a thick, tense silence. Jennie subconsciously swallowed hard. Is something wrong...?

"It's... just a flat tyre right, Jisoo?" Lisa enquired innocently and tried to loosen the raven's nerves, "I know how to replace a flat! Besides, Jennie's apartment is right up there, so if we don't have a spare, we can at least stay the night."

Releasing a breath that she seemed to be holding, Jisoo shook her head and scoffed lightly, "Right, sorry ladies for the stern face, I think I'm getting a bit too old and paranoid." The rest chuckled and she smiled, "So, which floor is it again?"

"Third," Jennie smiled back in relief, "not too far a climb even without the elevator." And she was proud of herself when Jisoo chuckled in return, but it was short-lived, because the raven soon turned then frowned out the windscreen, "Jennie, are you sure Mrs. Kim is awake at this time?"