Ch7. Night in the Penthouse

Jisoo was lounging on her couch as she waited for Rosé who was showering in her bathroom.

They had walked straight back to Jisoo's home from soccer practice, preferring a shower in the comfort of her luxurious penthouse to one in a locker room on campus. They had received intel earlier that day that could shed more light on their toughest case on hand. It also happened to offer the handsomest reward to date.

Ever since she could remember, Jisoo only had her dad, Seunghyun, as family. He raised her single-handedly while being a freelance private investigator, and through the years he had closed several big cases that made him considerably wealthy now, enough to have several properties under his name. He kept his firm lean, expanding to only two trusted geeks on the intel team, and two agents on the outfield team - Jisoo and her best friend Rosé, who were both recruited while in school.

Juggling studies as undergraduates, Jisoo and Rosé started as outfield agents at age 21, and quickly displayed seamless teamwork on smaller cases such as stalking unfaithful husbands, subtly dropping tracking devices into businessmen's coat pockets, and even snipping women's hair for DNA tests for blood relations. After hundreds of cases with increasing difficulty were successfully closed by Jisoo and Rosé, Seunghyun had decided that no one would make better inheritors of his business than this pair.

Two years later, the property magnate Jiyong paid a visit to their firm.

He was a chaebol whose neglected first wife Eunjoo had left him 23 years ago and then died in a hospital fire about 10 months later. After bumping into Dr. Park, Jiyong found out that Dr. Park was actually the gynaecologist for Eunjoo at that time and Eunjoo had actually passed away in labour an hour before the fire, but since all hospital records were burnt off and the time of death was close to the time of fire, the local newspapers had published her death as one of the casualties.

With her dying breath, Eunjoo had begged Dr. Park to keep the pregnancy a secret from Jiyong, hence she did not correct the local papers about Eunjoo's real cause of death. She wanted to raise the child for Eunjoo but lost track of the baby in the frenzied evacuation from the fire, however she remembered thanking the heavens that night after checking that the baby's name was not on the casualty list. Dr. Park also remembered something special about the baby girl - her unique star-shaped birthmark below her chest.

Dr. Park felt that bumping into Jiyong was a sign from above that it was time to spill the beans.

With this little piece of information, Jiyong had sought out their firm in hopes to find his daughter, with the promise of a handsome reward of $10 million. Seunghyun agreed to take the case...

"Where did you space off to?" Rosé's question shook Jisoo out of her reverie.

Rosé had finally finished her bath and was toweling dry her hair as she plopped down beside Jisoo on the plush leather couch.

"Nah, just looking back on our rookie days, and wondering how long it'll take to close out Miss J." Jisoo stretched mindlessly with a satisfying sigh.

"Aww someone's being nostalgic all of a sudden?" Rosé teased before continuing, "Seriously though, I can't wait for Miss J to be found so we can close this case and claim our reward."

Jisoo chuckled, "Yeah, it's been a while since we went on a vacation. We definitely could use one."

"Gosh, tell me about it. The last time was...," Rosé tapped her index finger on her chin, while Jisoo rose to her feet and shuffled to the bar, which held a full stock of alcoholic drinks on display.

Rose leant her head backwards and spoke to the ceiling, "That road trip in the summer of final year, but that technically should not even be counted because how much fun could it be to drive out of state just to knock on strangers' doors and ask them about a missing baby from decades ago?"