Chapter 25: Him (End)

The blood splattered unto Halfdans skin as he fought side by side with Björn. He felt the excitement, adrenaline and pleasure coursing through him. It wasn't long until they were victorious over their enemies. The plundered everything they could.

The ships sank deep with the weight of the Vikings and the riches they got. The sun shone brightly down onto the men and women, following Björn loyally.

It took Mary a while to get back on her legs but Halfdan helped her through every step. Throughout her recovery he was always close to her and once she was healthy he repeated his proposal. She could only deny it. How was Kattegat going to fare once she was gone, their only healer.

Halfdan enjoyed his time on the raid. Him and Björn had grown closer. They learned to trust each others instinct blindly and felt a deep respect for each other. So Björn accepted when Halfdan said he needed to go back home.

The ships separated after some time. Part of them continued to sail towards the town known as Kattegat. The other ships sailed towards Norway.

Nevertheless, Halfdan didn't stop pursuing her. As he told her multiple times she was the one he wanted and he wouldn't settle for anything less. But Mary insisted, nothing could make her leave the people of Kattegat, her people,  without the help of a healer. They fought a lot about this and there just seemed to be no solution to their problem. He didn't want to face defeat and travel home alone.

They had no issues sailing back through the familiar sea, towards the very familiar port, where a King and his wife were waiting for the long lost brother.

Everyone was greeted warmly by friends and family after a long absence. Men and women were hugged alike by mothers, fathers, siblings, wives, daughters and sons. Harald hugged his brother close, patting him on the back before gesturing towards his wife.

Harald had married one of his shieldmaiden. They had woken up next to each other months prior and have not been able to leave each other alone, so Harald married her. His hair was short now and he carefully took his first born child out of his wife's arms, showing of the new born to his brother. A little girl with big blue eyes stared at Halfdan and he felt a deep longing in his chest.

Björn offered him a place for his next raid towards the Mediterranean. He was ready to accept his offer. He was going to tell him the next day. He first needed to tell Mary his decision. As he entered the hut they had shared ever since she was better, he saw her and Leif's wife sitting together. It wasn't unusual for them to be together. As the only healer she needed her sister-in-law to help her with the delivery of babies. Kattegat seemed to only consist of men and and their pregnant wives. Mary smiled at him once she saw him and moved to hug him. Knowing this would be one of the last times he could do that.

Most of the Vikings were busy unloading the ships, but with everyone helping,  they finished it quite fast and went towards their huts to reunite with their families. At the thought of family Halfdan felt lonely.

Even feeling the weight of his niece in his arms, her bright smile couldn't fill the emptiness he felt until he saw her.

"May I introduce you to my apprentice?"

Her words surprised him. If they had a new qualified healer, she could leave with him! He looked at Mary questioning and she nodded in response. He laughed at swirled her around. The preparations for the wedding started immediately. It wasn't even a week later when Mary stood in front of him, her hair braided beautifully, dressed in her wedding dress.

The youngest son of Ragnar as well as her brother walked her to Halfdan earlier. The first one threatening his life if anything was to happen to the small healer.

A woman was standing in front of the couple. She took Mary's face in her hand, asking her:

"Do you want to marry this man?"

There wasn't any hesitation in her voice as she confirmed this and Halfdan's response to the question was the same. The rings were taken out of the bowl filled with blood and the blood was Slightly sprinkled on them, before they placed the rings on each others fingers. Halfdan's eyes met his brothers and he smiled at him. He brought the younger woman closer to him and she pulled him down for a kiss.

She wore a dress, to big for her usual frame. It hung loosely off of her shoulders but stretched across her large belly. Her red braided hair ended just below her belly. Her skinny hands rested on top of it as she looked at the newcomer.

His smile stretched across his face and he gently handed his niece back to his brother. He walked towards the witch witch long strides. Her smile was bright and the relief in her green eyes was clear as he embraced her. Halfdan pulled her into his side. His hand resting on her belly and she placed her hands over his. The love for his wife and their unborn child was visible in his eyes as he admired her.

Hello, thank you for reading this until the end I appreciate it a lot! Would you be interested in One Shots of Mary and Halfdan's life together?