Chapter 16

➹➹➹

• Demetri's POV •

It's hard to have someone around all the time. I mean, this happens to me all the time, being assigned to a limbo patient, trying to help them get back or die. But none of them have been this persistent and...well, everywhere.

"Here we are," I instantly drop my arm from Mackenzie's waist, trying to create as much space between us.

I can't keep getting too close.

Mackenzie's head turns in every direction but mine, and I know she's avoiding me because of the little move I pulled back at the house.

Don't give me that look, I couldn't help it. She just frustrates me to no end! And her stupid, big, innocent brown eyes and how she just never listens to me!

I mean, I'm Death, for god's sake.

"Come with me," I muttered quickly, walking towards the end of the all too familiar bland hallway, nothing but white walls and tiles surrounding me.

I can hear Mackenzie's petite steps trying to catch up, but I don't slow myself down. I make a sharp right turn and find myself in the hospital room I was assigned to.

I always thought they would paint the walls any other color beside beige, all it does is make the atmosphere more depressing and bitter. I quickly glanced to the right of me, where all I see is Mackenzie staring solemnly at the young boy laying in bed.

She takes a few steps closer but I grab her arm before she could get too close and I move in front of her, sitting in one of the visitor seats beside the bed, since the other was occupied by who seems to be the kids father.

The boy is pale, with very little hair left on his small head.

"His names Adam Jayk. He's got a malignant tumor in his brain," I explained to Mackenzie, whose eyes were glued onto the boy.

Adam was in deep sleep, and as much as it kills me, this is my job, and I had to show Mackenzie why I wasn't around all the time.

But it scares me, what she might think of me after she sees what I was meant to do everyday of my life, she'd probably see me as some kind of monster.

Adam's dad shifted beside me and his eyes pierced open, sitting up slowly, his eyes never leaving his dying son. He reaches for his son's small hand and envelopes it with both of his, and it didn't take a genius to know that those were tears prickling his eyes.

The dad's chair screeches across the floor, scooting closer to his son as he lifts himself up and drops his lips onto his sons forehead.

"Hey, kid," he says, a sad smile taking over his face, "I know you're tired kid, but can you do dad a favor? Yeah?"

Mackenzie is lost in the scene playing out in before her, a tear falling down her cheek before taking a step back. I immediately stand, reaching my hand out to grasp hers.

Crap, what's wrong with me. I've done this a million times before, why am I suddenly feeling broken for what's about to happen?

"I need you to hold on for me bud," I quickly turn my head back to the man and his son, "I need you to stay strong, for me, okay?"

There are tears running down his face now, sniffling between words, but he still keeps his smile on.

I hear a sniffle from Mackenzie's side, and I turn to see her other hand over her mouth, probably torn inside from the entire situation.

But that's what she needs to understand. This is the reason I am the way I am. I've torn families apart and broken people. I've stolen loved ones and I'm the one people have to blame. Because it's my job.

It's time.

The feeling I get before I do my job overpowers me, and I quickly let go of Mackenzie's hand. I grab the young boys arm, and the machines around him suddenly start the familiar beep of a flatline.

I turn and stare straight at Mackenzie, whose eyes shot wide open and eyebrows flew up, and this is the moment I was dreading.

"What are doing!" Mackenzie's voice screeches through the hospital room, charging my way.

"Mackenzie, listen to m-"

"Let go of him! Let go, Demetri! L-let go of the kid, let go!" Her voice booms through, and I realized it wasn't the boy who was making me feel torn inside. It was Mackenzie's judgement. It was the look on her face breaking me.

But I couldn't let go. It was the kid's time.

The entire moment seemed to be going in slow motion. The machines flatline, the father screaming his sons name, rushing to get the nurses, and Mackenzie.

She's was yelling my name, latching herself onto my arm, screaming and pulling me away from the young boy whose life I just ended.

When we got back to the house, it seemed as though sound didn't even exist in this world. It be an understatement if I said Mackenzie was giving me the silent treatment.

She scurried to the staircase, but I grabbed her arm before she could get to the first step, "Mackenzie, please, let me expla-,"

"Don't. Just, just don't," she interrupted, turning my way but her eyes still avoiding mine.

I looked at her, like, really looked at her. Her eyes puffy from her sobbing back at the hospital, and her nose red and her body looked like it was going to give out at any second. She just looks overall done.

"Just leave me alone, Death."

I let go of her arm and she runs up the stairs, and I'm left there wide eyed.

It was way beyond the silent treatment, and it was beyond anger.

It was hate, and I didn't realized how much it could hurt me coming from Mackenzie.

➹➹➹

Heyyyy!

Hope you enjoyed this chapter lovelies, eeep it's in Demetri's POV!

Love you guys, you rock at the voting and commenting and youre just awesome!

xoxo

-Wazzi