Chapter 3

Well.

I was right about the punishment. Fortunately, since my birthday would take place in less than a week, I'm let off with only a three-day grounding.

I have made it through two of those days so far and my birthday is quickly arriving, making Clark and I very anxious for our late night partying in two days time.

Although I wasn't allowed to hang out with or text anyone during this small period of solitude, I was able to discuss our plans Friday night with Clark during school.

Speaking of school; "Miss Florence, would you like to complete this equation on the board, or would you like to finish doodling the millions of flowers on your notebook?"

I could feel my face turning red as I smoothly got up off my very, very uncomfortable plastic seat.

I quickly uncapped the dry erase marker before staring at the equation and immediately knowing what the answer was.

After I had finished writing it all down and creating a overly exaggerated circle around the answer, I turned to the teacher with a triumphant smirk on my face before sitting back on the stupid seat with my arms folded across my chest.

"Uh - well - thank you, Mackenzie," he smiled politely at me, although I could almost hear the secret message behind it; Ungrateful little spoiled brat.

I rolled my eyes and ignored my least favorite teachers stingy personality while going through my bag to look for my phone. I stopped halfway through my search when I realized I still didn't have it on me.

Just one more day, Mackenzie.

I sat myself upright in my seat and glanced at the clock. Now, you could almost feel my happiness when you realize that this is the last period of the day and there was only four minutes left in class.

"Psst, Mack," I hear from behind me, so I turned myself around and tried to match the voice to a face, "Hey, Mack!"

I turned my head to face Mason, one of the sweetest guy I've ever met.

Although his huge, black-framed glasses and his love for books may make him a bit of a geek, there is nothing I respect more than a guy who cares about his studies.

"Oh, hey, Mason." I smile, giving him a small wave.

"Is your birthday this Friday?" He asked, pushing up his glasses.

"Yeah, why?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Well, I just wanted to asked you what you wanted me to get you, you know, for your birthday." He smiles, his eyes flickering down to the ground and his hands were clasped together; his knuckles were almost white.

I giggled, genuinely appreciating the gesture that many would never even think of doing, "Mason, that's so sweet, but you don't have to get me anything."

"Oh, I know, but I want to."

"Well, that's very nice, but I don't know what I want. I don't real want anything, really." I try to sound as convincing as I can.

"Well, that--"

"Mr. Locke, is there something you'd like to share with the class?"

Mason glances at me before sending a smirk my way, "Um - yeah. The problem you answered, Mr. Forbes, is incorrect."

The teachers face paled as he stared at the board while Mason went into detail about how he solved the problem wrong.

I love this kid.

** ** **

"Hey! Mack!" I hear Clark call from the other side of the hall, waving his hand like a lunatic.

I bury my head in one hand, shielding myself teasingly as if to say that I have no clue who the maniac running towards me is.

When he finally caught up to me, he smacked my hand down and frowned, "Hey, that's not very nice, I'm skipping my bus ride right now for you."

"Aw, you poor man." I pout, sarcasm dripping from my every word.

"Well, I just came to tell you that I got us a guaranteed way in at the club, Under Twenty-One," he grins and folds his arms across his chest as he leans across the wall.

"Oh, really?" I say incredulously.

"Oh, what, you don't believe me?"

"No," I say in a monotone voice.

Well, then, how did I get these?" He pulls out two wristbands with some exotic design on them and Under Twenty-One written in huge, pretty font. My jaw slacked and eye widened as I reaches for the purple wristbands slowly, making sure that this was actually happening.

"No way," I gasped before jumping up and down a couple of times before wrapping my arms around his neck and pulling him into a tight hug, "This is going to be the best birthday ever because of you!" I muffled into his neck.

He pulled away from me with a big smile on his face, "What, did you think I'd let your eighteen birthday be a bust? Come on, you've gotta give me more credit than that."

He stuffed his hands in his front pockets, and I could tell he's gone back to checking out girls in the halls.

"Hey, Clark." A petite blonde waved at him, and you could tell by the way she walked, hip swaying with every step, that she was trying to get his attention. It worked.

I wave a hand in front of his face, catching his attention, "Thank you," I smile, "Now shoo," Making a the same gesture one would do with their pet, "Oh! No, wait, you need a ride, don't you?" I say, suddenly feeling guilty that this news had kept him from being on time to his bus.

He gave me his signature smile, "Duh."

The smile on my face could not be wiped away as I thought of how amazing the night was going to be.

** ** **

After my mom had dropped Clark off, due to my lack of having a car, the ride was silent, except for the music playing softly in the background.

"So, mommy," I smile, breaking the silence.

"What do you want?"

"Excuse me?"

"Whenever you call me mommy, you want something. So," she says, giving me a smile, "Spit it out, sweetheart."

Wow, she knew me well.

"Well, you know that place," I slowly say.

"What place?" She asks, taking a right turn, causing me to tilt a bit.

"That new place. You know, that's new." I drag out, fiddling with my coat buttons.

"Oh, for God's sake, Mackenzie spit it out."

"MeandClarkwanttogotoUnderTwenty-One!" I blurt out and flinch, as though those words were going to turn back around and punch me in the face.

"Huh?" My mom lets out cluelessly, pulling into our driveway and shutting off the car.

"Clark, well, he and I want to go to that very safe, alcohol and drug free zone, place, Under Twenty-One." I smile faintly, worried about the kind of response I would get. It could make or a break my birthday.

I close my eyes and my lips form a thin line when words started coming out of my mom's mouth.

"Come on, mom, why not? I have to go, please!"

"Mack, I said yes."

I stopped my pleading and stared at my mom blankly, slightly taken by surprise, "Wait, what?"

"I said okay," she smiles before letting out a sad sigh, "It's for your birthday, is it not?"

I nod my head as she lifts her hand up to my cheek gently. She pushes a strand of my hair behind my ear before whispering, "I'm so proud of you."

"Why?"

"For being you. For being strong. I know your father didn't really make life easy on you but remember, I love you."

Although the mention of my father sends an unwanted chill through my spine, the warmth in my heart made up for it, "I love you, too, mom." I smile, keeping the tears that threatened to rush down my cheek in check.

"Now, you go to that club on Friday, and you have the time of your life. Live everyday like it's your last," she lets go of my face and opens the car door while mumbling, "God knows I wish I did."

A chuckle was emitted from me as I walked out the car and into the comfort of my own home.

"I have to go pick of your brother in about twenty minutes," my mom starts but I interrupt her before she goes any further.

"I can do it," I smile, shoving my hands in my back pockets.

Mom smiles at me and pushes a stray strand of her hair behind her ear, "You can? Are you sure?"

"Yeah, just give me the keys," I say, looking around the room to see they were on the counter. I jump towards the counter before saying, "Got it."

After I said goodbye and made my way to the car, I put in the keys and started the engine but I couldn't start moving yet.

It was so silent in the car, so ear-piercingly silent. I could hear my own unsteady breathing, as well as seeing it because of the chill in car.

I took a moment, looking around me to see if anyone was around before adjusting the gear shift to reverse and driving out of the driveway.

I couldn't shake the feeling that someone was there.

xxx xx xxx

Sorry! Filler chapter! But the real fun begins next!

But I hope you guys like the idea of the story so far, and if you
do, you comments and votes are much appreciated.

You rock.

xoxo

-Wazzi