Chapter 12

• • • •

I feel like I'm starting to go insane.

I've been staring at the ceiling once again, except instead of any empty mind, there were a million thoughts racing through my head.

I couldn't help but think, what the hell does my father want from me?

Didn't he do enough damage? Why does he suddenly care about me?

I haven't talked to Demetri since we got back from the trip to the hospital and honestly, I'm not planning on conversing with him any time soon.

I can't believe he read my thoughts again. I mean, tuning into other peoples minds is totally rude and a complete invasion of privacy.

Okay. Yeah, that's still a bit weird to say.

I groaned, running my hands through my hair and pulled on it, trying to make my headache cease but - surprise, surprise - it didn't work.

The worst part, I didn't even get to see who I went to see in the first place.

My mom and Clark, they're the only ones I wanted to see.

And in the end, all I got to see was the man who ruined everything. I thought I had gotten rid of him. I thought my entire family had been freed of his problematic baggage that came along with him.

Does mom know he's back? And James? Oh, James...

I felt something warm trickle down onto the back of my hand, but I quickly wiped it away, refusing to cry over this situation again.

This feeling suddenly hit me, the feeling of regret.

I shouldn't have left. I should waited him out, and waited for the rest of my family to show up, the people I actually wanted to see.

The next thing I knew, I was up on my feet and walking through the dim exit of the room and hopping down the stairs.

My feet took me to the door of Demetri's office, and I knew that I had to gather up the courage to knock on the door and as him this favor, even after the little argument we had earlier. Which, by the way, was completely his fault.

Thoughts of the altercation that took place mere hours ago swarmed my head, and the anger that came along with it took over me.

I pushed aside any thoughts of being kind and well-mannered, and the rage inside me told me to push open the door with no hesitation.

And that is what I did.

In one not-so-swift move, I push open the door and I instantly hear a loud 'ouch' come from the other side of the door.

My eyebrows shot up while my heart dropped, and I quickly walked to the back of the door, only to find Demetri picking himself up off the ground while rubbing his forehead.

My hands immediately clasped his arms, assisting him as he got back up on his feet.

"Oh, gosh, I'm sorry, I'm-I just, I am so, so sorry," I stuttered like an idiot as he finally made onto his feet and started walking away to his desk, breaking the contact between us, "Oh my goodness, r-really, I'm sorry."

"Geez, woman, haven't you heard of knocking?" Sarcasm laced around his voice as he continued to rub his forehead.

I immediately stopped apologizing and folded my arms across my chest, suddenly feeling very self-defensive.