Chapter 17

I keep trying to tell myself that I hate him. Although I know it's far from the truth. I haven't spoken to him since we got back from the hospital, ever since he killed the boy.

Something inside me kept trying to take his side, to justify his horrific actions, but I didn't know how to react. Am I just suppose to go up to him and tell him that's it's okay he took a young boy's life away?

Of course not, that's just wrong.

Although, it is his job. The job that was assigned to him and the one he has a duty to complete. It took me a moment to realize how many of these jobs he's had to complete and I couldn't possibly imagine how I would feel if that job belonged to me. I wouldn't be able to, hell, I'd run the other direction.

By the time I was finished thinking about what went down, I wasn't sure if I was angry at him or myself.

God Mackenzie, how could you be so selfish and stupid?

Those words rang in my head until I almost lost it. I pushed myself off the bed and set out find him, he must think I'm terrified of him.

My heart was racing and I wasn't quite sure what I would to do once I find him. My legs carried me down the stairs swiftly, and the first place I checked was his office.

I didn't think twice before barging into the doors, which may have been the worst thing I could've possibly done at the moment.

Demetri stood by his desk, with nothing but a towel wrapped around his waist. His hair stuck out in many directions and his hands were firmly grasping the towel.

"Holy shi-" were all the words my mouth could form and the only words I heard before I spun fully on my heels and ran in the opposite direction.

As soon as I could I made it through the doors of Demetri's office, I shut them quickly, spitting out sorry's in every direction I could.

My hands covered my face, knowing it was crimson red from embarrassment, and only a few moments later, Demetri appeared on my side of the doors.

There was a long pause, and then his clearly irritated and, if anything, humiliated voice, broke the silence.

"Mackenzie?"

"Yeah?"

"Did it ever occur to you that-"

"That what?"

"That I was, oh I don't know, naked in my room!"

I couldn't help but avoid eye contact, knowing that whatever I say or even think probably will be very stupid and will not help this situation in anyway.

There wasn't anything to really say.

Besides the fact that the image of him with a towel wrapped around his waist will forever be engraved into the back of my mind.

"Well," I stared at my feet, feeling as though I couldn't stay in one spot, "How was I suppose to know?" I defended myself, but I knew it was pointless.

"You could have knocked! What did you even want?"

"I just wanted to apologize for how I reacted at the hospital!"

I could see the impatience in his face fade, visibly trying to calm himself down, and it could easily be said that I was grateful he was wearing clothes now because if not, I would so not be able to focus on whatever is coming out of his mouth.

I waited to think of something sensible to say, or at least an apology. But of course, all that came out of my mouth was, "You weren't completely naked, you know."

All that got me was a blank stare, which felt like him trying to read my thoughts, and I was proud to say that I kept my thoughts clear of anything Demetri.

He gave me a long hard stare before grabbing my hand and leading me inside to his office.

I carefully walked in, unsure whether or not seeing a grim reaper naked was grounds for a death penalty or something.

But can I just say, if that were the case, I would not regret it one bit.
Oh shut up, he might hear you, Mack.

Fighting with myself had to be a clear sign of insanity, which I could fully blame on this stupid limbo world. I sat down on the chair that was meant for Demetri, but he surprisingly didn't stop me.

He leaned back on his desk, and I openly admired his leather jacket that was covering another black shirt.

Jeez, I know you're in charge of death but that doesn't mean you have to dress like it.

"Ah, yes, because dressing like a rainbow will totally get people to take me seriously."

My eyebrows raised, and a small smile formed on my mouth, knowing that his humor was a good sign. He smiled back.

Just like that, the air in the room automatically felt thicker, hotter. I tried to ignore the fact that our legs were only inches away from touching, and also the fact that the lighting was dim.

"Mackenzie, remember when we first met?"

"Unfortunately," I joked, rolling my eyes and sighing dramatically. That got me a chuckle from him.

"I laid down some ground rules and from what just happened, I think we need more," he talked slowly, as if he was trying to make sure I was remembering it all. In reality, it knew the rules like the back of my hand., "Remember them? No asking questions."

"Right, you choose the music," I got up off the seat, making Demetri and I at eye level.

The eye contact made everything in the room disappear.

Our breathing was all that could be heard as I took a step forward, wondering how close I could get before he would stop me.

He hasn't so far.

"And the last one?" I asked, although I remember it very clearly.

Demetri seemed lost in thought, his eyes flickering from my eyes to my lips.

All I could suddenly feel were his arms around my waist as he stood up, and our bodies being pushed against each other.

He stared at me long and hard before bringing a hand to my face, gently holding it. The other hand kept itself wrapped tightly on my waist, making my heart beat faster and faster.

I see him lean in, and my heart started to race a mile a second. I closed my eyes, but soon I felt his lips on my cheek, and my eyes fluttered open again.

The kiss lingered, and he leaned back and let go of my waist.

"Thank you...for understanding my job. What I do isn't easy, but I have to do it."

He walked away as I stood there, almost frustrated that we didn't get as close as I wanted to be. But he couldn't know that.

Just as he stepped out of the office, he stuck his head back in, giving his heart melting smirk before saying, "oh and one more thing."

I sighed, a smile appearing on my face, "Yeah?"

He raised an eyebrow and lifted a finger, wagging it back and forth, "Rule number three? No touching."

I could hear his deep chuckle fill the house.

*****************************************

SURPRISE IM NOT DEAD

OK DONT KILL ME

I KNOW IVE BEEN GONE FOR LIKE 59485939593 YEARS BUT I UPDATED SEEEEEEE.

But seriously,
I love you guys,
You guys are awesome at voting and commenting and that stuff makes me smile so much and I love all you and I hope you enjoy and hope life is treatin' you well ❤️

Ps: I didn't edit this so if there are any mistakes, please find it in your hearts to let it goo 😘

-wazzi