Chapter 13

*****

• • • •

I had cried my eyes out to my limit. How do I know that?

It's because I had officially run out of tears, and the energy to cry. After the first couple of hours heart-aching tears dripping off my face, I had started to become numb and had partaken in my favorite pastime; staring at my bedroom ceiling.

I was trying not to think about my mom walking away, not even feeling my presence. And my innocent, little brother and how the words that had fallen from his mouth were now engraved into the back of my mind.

She's just sleeping, she'll wake up. Right? That's what you told me.

These words alone could make my heart shatter into a million pieces.

Anyway, after hours of staring at my ceiling once more, Demetri made it clear to me that the only way to solve this is to actually work and figure what I'm meant to do here.

And how did he do that?

"Demetri! Let me down, you buffoon!" I screeched as he grabbed me by the waist, ripping me away from my wonderful bed and throwing me over his shoulder as if I weighed nothing.

He started walking towards the exit of my room when he stopped in his tracks, and I could almost feel the sarcastic smirk on his face as he said, "Who the hell says buffoon anymore?"

"Demetri! Let me down! This is pointless!" I argued, pounding my dainty, little fists against his muscular back, even though I knew I wasn't making a difference, "I'm going to whither away here, there's no way I'm going to figure this out!"

Demetri decided to completely ignore my statement as he walked down the stairs, with me feeling every bump on the way, "Ouch, gosh, I know I'm unconscious, but I can still bruise."

I heard a scoff, and next thing I knew, I was harshly dropped to the ground with a thud, "Ow, dude!"

He looked down at me and crossed his arm across his chest. I did the same, and whipped my head in a different direction, adding a dramatic "Hmph!" to make sure he knew that he sincerely angered me.

We stayed silent for a few moments.

"I don't understand, what could possibly be the solution to this entire situation?"

My voice rang through the dead silent house as I leaned my back up against the wall and focused my gaze back onto him, only to find him staring intensely at me.

My heart skipped a beat.

Although his stare alone made the palms of my hands start to sweat, I didn't look away. Mostly because I just couldn't.

His gaze was so captivating, and I took this opportunity, savoring every moment of the attention he's giving me.

I felt a shiver go up my spine as he took a step closer, leaning down on one knee to reach my eye level.

Gee, I wonder how red my face is right now.

"Mackenzie, listen to me. You can't keep laying on your bed and crying. I've done this millions of times before and most of the time, people make it back. But they sure as hell didn't do it by crying all day," his voice was rough and his words weren't as sweet as I thought they would be, which surely ruined the moment.

I scoffed, "Most of the time?"

He let out a sour chuckle, "That's what you took out of all that? God damn, woman." He lifted his hand up to his face and scratched his chin, a faint smile appearing on his face.